Audio book editing

I am using Audacity 2.0.5 on a Windows 10, 64 bit system.

I have a general question for you Audacity folks who record audio books. What is the average amount of time you spend on editing? The reason I ask is because I spend what I feel is an inordinate amount of time on it. I’d estimate I spend about eight hours of editing to get one hour of finished product. What takes about ninety-five percent of that time is getting rid of mouth noises (clicks, smacks…)

I’m still researching ways to get rid of these sounds in post, but just curious if anyone comes close to that amount of time in editing. Many thanks!

The reason I ask is because I spend what I feel is an inordinate amount of time on it. I’d estimate I spend about eight hours of editing to get one hour of finished product.

I don’t do audiobooks, but that’s not too far out of line… If you listen-through once before editing, once after editing, and once while editing, that would be 3 hours before you spend any time with the actual editing.

There are de-essers and de-clickers.

https://forum.audacityteam.org/t/lost-file/43357/7

Keep reading down that post. Modern microphones are made very bright and crisp and it drives everybody crazy. After they come back from crazy, everybody starts looking for a way to soften the voice. De-essers are very popular.

I got around that during the recording by using older dynamic (moving coil) microphones missing that harsh crisp edge. I got presentable voice checks with no serious processing from a good dynamic microphone, simple mixer and a Mac with Audacity—oh, and a very quiet room. Trim the volume and make ACX compliance.

I need to do that again. I can’t find my test clips.

Koz