Audacity Wont Open?

When I open my Audacity (2.0.2.0) it bounces on the dock for a while, stops, and then my Macbook becomes incredibly slow and unresponsive and Audacity never gets the open application light beneath it.
How can I fix this? Does it have something to do with the 300+ plugins I have installed on my computer?
Help!

Thanks in advanced.

Almost certainly. See here Missing features - Audacity Support . If you see a Mac crash report appear, please let us see it (as described in the link above).

Let us know if you need more help.

Gale

Eureka! It is fixed! Thank you for your assistance :slight_smile:

A developer did recently try a couple of Audio Unit plug-ins that were reported to crash Audacity, but could not get a crash.

Do feel free to look in /Applications/Utilities/Console and let us have the most recent crash report in there. Here is how to attach files https://forum.audacityteam.org/t/how-to-attach-files-to-forum-posts/24026/1 . The more information we can get the better.

The ultimate aim is simply not to load plug-ins until the user asks for them, and when the user does ask, load it in a separate process so that it can’t crash Audacity.

Gale

I installed version 2.0.3 and it won’t start. I followed the instructions you posted about the cfg file and still when i click on the icon, it bounces once on my dock and then nothing happens. I was able to open version 1.3.5d no problem. I am running OSX 10.6.8 on a MacBookPro.

Did you force quit Audacity before editing audacity.cfg?

Did you edit down to the correct .cfg contents (only this, no other content ):

NewPrefsInitialized=1

[AudioUnits]
Enable=0
GUI=0
[VST]
Enable=0
GUI=0
Rescan=0

Did you save the changes to audacity.cfg?

Did you save the .cfg file to ~/Library/Application Support/audacity/ ?

Did you Command - TAB to Audacity to see if Audacity just did not come on top?

If none of that helps can you post a crash report as per Missing features - Audacity Support ?

Gale