Audacity repeatedly stops responding, but continues to run

I am running Audacity 3.0.2 on Windows 10 Home 20H2 x64.

I’m trying to normalize and play audio files through Audacity, but it seems like whenever I try to do something with Audacity it stops responding.
The window itself won’t take any inputs, the cursor is frozen in its current state, and the only way to close it is to end the task.
Even weirder, the program continues to run just fine and can even still play audio, and Windows does not tell me that the program has stopped responding.
I have tried restarting the program, reinstalling it, running SFC and DISM, and rebooting my PC, but nothing has worked.
This issue has only just popped up today, after I decided to update Windows and restart my computer. I need a fix for this in order to use Audacity again.

Are you using an English version of Windows?

Yes, I’m running an English version.

After some testing, I found that the problem seems to occur when any key is pressed.

Using the mouse does not cause Audacity to stop responding.

I tried an older version of Audacity, 2.4.2, and the same issue occurred.

and you are using an English keyboard, and your version of Windows has never been configured for Japanese, Chinese, Korean or similar?

The reason that I ask is because the symptoms that you describe sounds very much like an issue that we are aware of with Microsoft IMEs (input methods) that are used with some languages.

You got me. I configured Windows for typing in Japanese.

Mystery solved :slight_smile:

It’s a bug that Microsoft introduced in a recent update. There’s some information about it here: KB4564002: You might have issues on Windows 10, version 20H2 and Windows 10, version 2004 when using some Microsoft IMEs - Microsoft Support

As Microsoft claim to have resolved the issues, I’d have expected that ensuring that Windows is fully updated should fix the problem.
Let us know how you get on.

Great catch Steve :sunglasses:

I disabled the IME and it fixed the issue. Thanks!

Super. Glad you’ve found a solution.

I rarely use Windows, so for the benefit of other Audacity users, perhaps you could post step-by-step instructions for how you disabled IME.