Audacity records faster [SOLVED]

OK, but you may find that setting Default Sample Rate 22050 Hz isn’t necessary - it “shouldn’t” be necessary.

Have the log errors about file system statistics disappeared when you first record in an Audacity session?

When resetting .cfg helps, it’s rarely clear in what way it helps. If you still have the renamed audacity.cfg, feel free to attach it and we can have a look.

Press the Edit button in your first message and add [SOLVED] to the end. But I would wait a while to make sure it really is solved.

Gale

Have the log errors about file system statistics disappeared when you first record in an Audacity session?

Er… No! :blush:

If you still have the renamed audacity.cfg, feel free to attach it and we can have a look.

Ok! Here it goes!
(It didn’t let me send the file with a cfg extension. I changed it to txt)

Press the Edit button in your first message and add [SOLVED] to the end. But I would wait a while to make sure it really is solved.

Yes, that will be wiser. I’ll wait…
audacity.txt (3.62 KB)

Thanks. I don’t see much unusual there. You had Default Sample Format on 16-bit, whereas the shipped default is 32-bit float.

You had redundant settings for a now removed feature that cached audio data in RAM. It’s not very likely that redundant setting affects recordings.

Gale

However, it sounds ok, now…
:neutral_face: :wink: :slight_smile: :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley: :laughing:

(That’s why I’m happy
-Clap along if you feel what happiness is to you…-)

I asked for help to a friend, and he told me something like this:

This issue is related to the audio speed recording.
First, you can take a look at the quality in PulseAudio:

pacmd list-sinks |grep sample

The answer should be something like:

sample spec: s16le 2ch 44100Hz

In case you haven’t got this speed in Audacity, you can edit the Pulseaudio configuration file:

gksu gedit /etc/pulse/daemon.conf

and edit the line

; default-sample-rate = 44100

You can modify this line and remove the first semicolon. As you can see, these are the default values for Pulseaudio.

If the speed is the same in both programs, you shouldn’t have any problem in audio recording.[/color]

Well, that is the answer he gave me. I suppose it’s in the same direction as you suggested: (change the speed to 44100Hz…)

I leave the comment for if it is of some help to anyone.

Yours,
Joan

Thanks for posting that.

Yes that is the configuration file I meant, if you choose the pulse or default device to record from.

If you had chosen the (hw) device to record from, it’s possible the problem may not have happened. The problem is seemingly that pulse can’t always cope with resampling the 22050 Hz file to 44100 Hz somewhere along the line, even if Audacity project rate is 22050 Hz.

So the theory would be that if you edited the /etc/pulse/daemon.conf file to:

default-sample-rate = 22050

and restarted the computer then pacmd list-sinks |grep sample would show

sample spec: s16le 2ch 22050Hz

and there should not (I think) be any resampling going on anywhere.

However since you have a low sample rate file it’s not recommended to set your pulse device to such a low default. Sometimes audio devices on Linux default to 48000 Hz and if that was the case and the file was 44100 Hz then changing the pulse default to 44100 Hz might help any speed problems that occurred in the recording.

Gale

I can’t say anything but: Thanks, thanks thanks to you all.

Joan