Audacity recording sounds bad

I have not had this problem with Audacity in the past, only with the new computer I am using now (but using the same operating system as before, Windows 10). When recording music with Audacity 3.1.3, the waveform is very tiny, barely above the center line. If I amplify it, it still sounds bad and there are annoying background noises to the quiet sections, even after I use noise reduction. Thank you for whatever help you can offer.

Howard

Let’s start with what you’re recoding from… The microphone built into your laptop? A microphone plugged-into your computer? Streaming audio from the Internet? A turntable with a USB connection?

And if you are using external hardware, tell us exactly what you’re using and how it’s connected.

Yes, the microphone in the computer, same as with my previous computers.

Make sure [u]Windows “enhancements”[/u] are turned-off. (Audacity doesn’t mess-with the audio during recording but sometimes Windows does.)

I checked that enhancements are turned off, but I still have the same problem, the recording still stays along the center line, and playback is nearly inaudible.