Audacity not working when I try to record from computer.

I’ve been using Audacity 2.1.3 on Windows 10 for several years now and all of a sudden I am having a problem with it.

I recorded a show that was streamed via my plugging my Droid into my PC. I accidentally let a commercial break run and so I figured that after the show was over and it was saved to my PC that I would record what I saved and just edit out the commercial break.

Wrong.

Audacity will NOT pick up anything being played on my PC, be it mp3 or audio from Youtube (I tried Youtube as a test to see if it was not just any audio on my PC proper. he dropdown menus are blank. Anything from a external source via Line In (tape deck or stream from phone) works fine. I’ve recorded audio from “inside” the PC in the past with no problems until now. I rebooted my PC and checked settings and they seem fine.

Any ideas what is wrong?

Thanks

Are you using “WASAPI loopback” (https://manual.audacityteam.org/man/tutorial_recording_computer_playback_on_windows.html)

I was using MME before. Just enabled WASAPI. I am not getting the error message, but Audacity is still not working with it. No action on he level meters and when I hit record…nothing.

It has to be WASAPI loopback and the loopback device has to be the same device that’s playing the sound.

I figured that after the show was over and it was saved to my PC that I would record what I saved and just edit out the commercial break.

If you have a saved audio file (or Audacity project) there’s no need to re-record it. You can simply open the file for editing.

I saved it as a .wav on my PC. I didn’t save it as a Audacity project.