audacity not seeing digi design 003

My room mate was looking for a tool to do quick edits with to avoid launching the monster that is pro tools. I installed Audacity to handle this and the interface and feature set is exactly what he was looking for, but he is having a tiny problem…it won’t output the audio to anything with speakers attatched! The sound on every other audio application outputs fine through the digi 003 to his monitor speakers. For some reason, Audacity only recognizes his onboard sound card and that useless MS sound mapper despite the sound properties in XP having the Digidesign 003 listed as the default playback device.

Can anyone give me a hand here? It seems fairly absurd that windows media player can output to the digi but audacity can’t even see it…i have to be missing something simple somewhere…

Have you tried resetting Audacity’s targetted audio device - use Edit>Preferences>Audio I/O and there is a setting for the Playback Device controlled by a drop-down selector box.

You may need to close Audacity and restart it for the setting to take effect.

WC

Audacity can’t release code to work with ASIO drivers due to legal difficulties. It’s possible to compile the code yourself, but all I can do is give you a link to the Wiki:
http://audacityteam.org/wiki/index.php?title=ASIO_Audio_Interface

It looks like Digidesign also offers MME drivers, which should work. Check this page about their drivers:
http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?langid=100&navid=54&itemid=23087

Apparently you can only use MME drivers with one program at a time, so you have to disable the OS’s sounds in order to free up the interface so Audacity can see it. There’s also a program they offer to set up which programs have access to the 003. You might need to use that program to add Audacity to the list.

It is not as straightforward as it may at first appear. In order for it to work, the 003 has to be aware that a program is trying to access it so that it can switch to “Working” mode. This appears to be done via Direct X, and while it works for native Wndows programs such as WMP and WinAmp, there are a lot of programs where the 003 does not recognise the program that wants to access it, so it does not switch on (“Working” mode), so it remains invisible to the application - a kind of Catch 22.

The “Digi MME Helper” application may sort this out, but I am loath to try it at work as they are production machines.