Audacity not fully loading Mp3 files

I’ve had Audacity for 6years now and never had a problem with loading my Mp3 files before , i thought maybe reset and redownload would help but it did not …the problem is when i try to drag my Mp3 file to audacity the file loads but literally just 0 .90secs of audio that sounds like a bird getting smashed by a hammer, strangely enough i’ve noticed all mp3 files from 2020 work but files from 2021 do not ,which leaves me to believe this must be the program n not my Pc… i love audacity and wouldnt use any other program for using instrumentals and rapping over them, would really like some feed back if any Thank You :smiley:

If you’re not using the latest version of Audacity (currently 3.1.1) try upgrading. There have been changes related to opening MP3 and it may now be better (or worse) with “imperfect” MP3s.

Or try converting the files to WAV with [u]Kabuu Audio Converter[/u] or any other 3rd-party converter. Usually this works (as long as the MP3 is playable) and it usually works even if the file is some other format mis-named as MP3.

The MP3 gets decompressed when you open it in Audacity so decompressing to WAV is very similar to what Audacity is doing. It’s just an extra step for you.

If you re-export as MP3 the new MP3 should be OK and it should open in Audacity.

\

As you may know, MP3 is lossy compression. Re-exporting as MP3 is another generation of lossy compression and some “damage” does accumulate. It might not sound worse, but it’s something you should be aware of and you should try to minimize the number of times it’s compressed.

There is a free program called [u]mp3DirectCut[/u] that can do some limited editing without decompressing. But, it won’t fix whatever is “wrong” with the MP3.