Audacity keeps quitting

I have been using Audacity for years with no problems. I have a new Windows 10 laptop and am running Audacity 2.4.1, after updating today from what I think was 2.3.3.

I am trying to edit a podcast with several tracks. I tried to amplify a single track, and it simply would not amplify. In Audacity 2.3.3, it made the whole program quit, and when I reopened it I could recover that file, and I could see that the track remained unamplified. I restarted the computer, which didn’t help. So I updated Audacity to 2.4.1, which didn’t help. So I uninstalled and reinstalled 2.4.1. Now it doesn’t crash, but it still doesn’t amplify the track. It starts to, and the green progress bar goes about halfway across, and then the progress bar disappears and the track remains unamplified.

I tried amplifying it in segments, which mostly worked, but there was one section that still would not respond. So then I thought I could export it as a WAV and put it through Levelator. To my horror, I discovered that it would not allow me to export either WAV or MP3, the the program crashes when I try to export in either format.

I think it is something about this particular track that’s messing things up. I tried saving just that single track to a new Audacity file and it still won’t amplify or export. I checked some other Audacity files and they seem to behave normally.

How do I fix this?

I think you are correct.
There’s probably a bad bit of data, and quite likely that it is only a tiny bit that is bad.

If you can work out where the bad bit is, then you can probably use “Export Selected Audio” to export everything before the bad bit, then repeat for everything after the bad bit.