Audacity keeps dynamically adjusting volume for mulitple fee

Ok I’m getting the problem when I mux two audio tracks together, say game audio and mic audio, even though I’ve lowered the game volume by 10dB and Mic audio to max, if I output both tracks into the same file, if the game audio is very loud its dynamically making the mic audio lower and game audio louder

How do I disable this?

Please read the pink panel at the top of the page and let us know the required information.

You would need to say exactly what you are doing, for example, “I set the Turtle Beach USB headset mic in Windows Sound to “Listen to this device” so that it plays through my headset and am then recording the headset mix of game and mic in Audacity using Windows WASAPI loopback.”

As a wild guess, if you are on Windows 7 or Windows 8, click the main Communications tab in Windows Sound then under “When Windows detects communications activity:”, choose “Do nothing”.

Also, turn off Skype because this will impose its own layer of dynamic volume adjustments.

None of these adjustments are anything to do with Audacity - it just records the signal it receives.

Gale

Audacity 2.1.0.exe install version, windows 7

I’m using an Elgato HD 60 with two audio tracks, both tracks are muxed independently into Audacity

I then take the mic audio, convert it to mono and run an amplify pass on it to max out the peaks, and then I run the game audio at -10db

So now I have two tracks, one game stereo audio, one mono commentary

I then export the entire track to MP3, and on the export screen I link the mono commentary to both channels of the export track so you hear it smoothly in both channels

I export the entire file, but the audio is messed up. Whenever the game audio is loud, the second mono commentary track, which I applied to both the left and right tracks, now lowers in volume drastically when the game audio gets very loud.

The thing is, if I’m in the audio tool screen playing with it, I don’t have these issues at all with it. In the audacity monitor screen the mic volume is always at the same volume, and the game audio doesn’t drown it out whenever its loud. Its only on the final export this happens

And it happens regardless of it being mp3, ac3 etc. Just on the final export whenever the game audio is loud, the commentary track gets quiet even though I didn’t want that to happen.

The ONLY solution I’ve found is I have to first put in the mic audio, THEN the game audio, and then mux it with the mic audio being the lead. But then I get the reverse problem in where if I’m loud on the mic, the game audio gets quiet, but at least you can hear me.

So is the mic track recorded with a mic, if so what is the make and model number of the mic? Or is the mic audio a pre-recorded WAV or MP3 that you import into Audacity?

And is the game sound track recorded live using the Elgato USB device?

How do you do that? Use Custom Mix? That should be un-necessary. Audacity should already mix the mono track equally into both channels of the stereo track.

What exactly is the audio tool screen?

Where are you playing the exported file exactly? Do you have sound effects turned on in that sound device?

What happens if you import the exported file back into Audacity? Can you see the dynamic effects you describe?

You already appeared to say above that you have the mic track above the game audio track. It should not matter which track is uppermost.

Audacity does not use the terms “mux” or “lead”. What do you mean by mux it with the mic being the lead? Can you describe what you do in Audacity, using the names of the menus and controls in Audacity?

Gale

Mic is a blue yeti, game audio is through HDMI using Voicemeeter banana

The screen is the Advanced Mixing Options screen, I have to manually link the audio tracks

Audio tool screen is the default screen or whatever its called. Work window? Every program calls it something different, basically where you can see the sound waveform

Playing the exported file with MPCHC, I can still see the effect in Audacity if I import it back in

I’ll have to get back to you on this, I’m going to try some more long lets plays and see if I get the same problem. I can’t find a way to play the raw audio file with either MPCHC or VLC, only the exported MP3 works. I’m going to do some more lets plays tonight and see if I still get these audio issues.

Reason I want to really really double check this is I just finished having a tech support problem with the Elgato HD60 itself, and for this very reason, mic problems. It could be a dynamic range issue with it and not audacity.

Had to lookup that El Gato device…

As soon as I saw the pic I remembered why I forgot about it: up to 500 msec audio latency, impossible to sync with other AV gear, not 64 bit clean… Our HD60 ended up in the bin.

At least one other person seems to have near identical problems with the audio:
http://www.reddit.com/r/elgato/comments/2uf82v/elgato_hd60_audio_issues/

You wouldn’t have 5.1 audio coming in from HDMI? That could explain volume changes if the voice isn’t mainly on the center channel. I’m not sure how Audacity handles 5.1 audio. When I experimented with the HD60, I used another DAW.

I got zero problems with audio clarity/game audio latency, if you want me to I can provide you an example and the settings I used to get it.

The Elgato only takes Stereo sound and can only capture stereo sound. The only way I get 5.1 sound with my Elgato HD60 is cause I use Sound Blaster Z and their absolutely fantastic virtual surround is picked up over HDMI audio and you get the 5.1 experience via stereo speakers. If you want I can give you a youtube link to my channel with examples.

As for this persons problem, there WAS a problem with the beta build cutting out mics, I was getting it for quite a while actually and I basically made it public a few days ago on reddit to “Speed up” them fixing it. http://www.reddit.com/r/ElgatoGaming/comments/398h7x/do_not_use_newest_version_of_software_anything/

To if they’ve fixed it yet I don’t know, I’ve not done any recording yet to check as I’ve had a busy day.

Anyways if you need some help setting up the Elgato HD60 let me know, other than problems with their capture problem I can’t control I pretty much got the whole thing nailed down

Audacity can record multiple channels if you have hardware that presents those channels as coming from the same device. That is often not the case on Windows.

All Audacity playback is mixed down to stereo or mono.

Gale

Thx for the offer, but I didn’t imply there is a problem with the sound. I just said the gear didn’t work at all with our setup and we couldn’t justify spending more time on it. One of the things we found wrong with audio was audio level that seemed dependent on the software that was receiving the stream. Open Broadcaster, f.i. got a too low level, but VLC got a normal level. I’ve never seen that kind of problem with any gear, frankly. We also couldn’t get Soundflower to reliably route audio from it. Soundflower can be a PITA, sometimes, but I’ve never known it to forget settings, or work intermittently.

The Elgato only takes Stereo sound and can only capture stereo sound. The only way I get 5.1 sound with my Elgato HD60 is cause I use Sound Blaster Z and their absolutely fantastic virtual surround is picked up over HDMI audio and you get the 5.1 experience via stereo speakers. If you want I can give you a youtube link to my channel with examples.

The problem I remember was sending Dolby AC encoded audio over HDMI to the HD60, which resulted in white noise IIRC. If you could set the source to downmix to stereo, there was no problem. Unfortunately, the person who bought the device had exactly this in mind as one of the occasional applications.

One of the other apps was recording HDMI input for image recognition. But sync drifted so bad after a couple of hours it produced more problems for us than it solved.

As for this persons problem, there WAS a problem with the beta build cutting out mics, I was getting it for quite a while actually and I basically made it public a few days ago on reddit to “Speed up” them fixing it. > Reddit - Dive into anything

To if they’ve fixed it yet I don’t know, I’ve not done any recording yet to check as I’ve had a busy day.

The conclusion we drew over a half year ago was that the vendor didn’t seem to bother much with support. I didn’t follow up myself, so I don’t know what went wrong there and then.

Anyways if you need some help setting up the Elgato HD60 let me know, other than problems with their capture problem I can’t control I pretty much got the whole thing nailed down

Thx, but ours has been “recycled”. That probably means that someone fished it out of the bin and sold it to some unsuspecting victim. :laughing:

I should’ve been clearer. I mean how you import ambisonic recordings in either AC3, .amb or multi-channel wav. I’ve just collected some test recordings and they seem to be unknown to Audacity and most simple audio players. But I’ve not been able to spend much time on it, as I’m eagerly waiting 2.1.1 to avoid the ffmpeg bug on OSX. The only one that seems to handle it on OSX, is Songbird.

I’ve recently recorded 24 tracks 24 Bit 48 KHz with Audacity and that works without any problem. It’s a pity Audacity only supports stereo output to speakers tho. It means I’ll have to use another player to listen to anything ambisonic.

There is no FFmpeg bug specific to Audacity 2.1.0 on OS X that I know of, so if you install FFmpeg, Audacity should import multi-channel AC3 and WAV. I don’t know about AMB WAVE_EX files.

The bug in 2.1.0 is that Audacity cannot import M4A/MP4 without FFmpeg.

Gale

Thx Gale. I feel questions coming up. But that’s for another thread. When I have some more time to delve into .amb…