Audacity failed to read from a file in C:

I was recording a video call over discord with audacity so I could take notes and review later, and everything seemed fine. After I ended the recording and tried to start using it, it suddenly said something about being unable to find the audio driver (I think) and wouldn’t play it at all and when I closed it there was a green bar on the screen for about 2 seconds that I couldn’t read. Now that audio file says: Audacity failed to read from a file in C: and is completely blank and unusable when I try to open it. I used this solution https://support.audacityteam.org/troubleshooting/recovering-corrupted-projects but my steps did not go as it said they should.

It looks like this:

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.22000.978]
(c) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\emmap>cd Downloads\AudRepair

C:\Users\emmap\Downloads\AudRepair>dir
Volume in drive C is Windows
Volume Serial Number is 1E04-4628

Directory of C:\Users\emmap\Downloads\AudRepair

09/17/2022 03:26 PM .
09/17/2022 03:20 PM …
09/17/2022 03:26 PM audacity-project-tools-1.0.0-win64
09/17/2022 03:20 PM 1,357,695 audacity-project-tools-1.0.0-win64.zip
09/17/2022 03:26 PM 1,419,160 audacity-project-tools.exe
09/17/2022 01:55 PM 5,672,075,264 broken.aup3.aup3
09/17/2022 03:26 PM 1,199,512 sqlite3.exe
4 File(s) 5,676,051,631 bytes
3 Dir(s) 721,721,843,712 bytes free

C:\Users\emmap\Downloads\AudRepair>audacity-project-tools -drop_autosave broken.aup3
unable to open database file

C:\Users\emmap\Downloads\AudRepair>


What else can I do to fix this? Any advice? I don’t know a lot about computers I will freely admit.

This does not look good. :frowning:

I would sklp this step and continue on…

If you still have no luck, zip up your original .aup3 file (the one you make a copy from) and upload it to a file sharing service. Post a link and I’ll take a look at it.

Also, note the file repair utility does not work on projects that were created prior to Audacity 3.0.0.

Thank you so much for responding. I figured out what I did wrong and have been able to recover the audio. I was copy/pasting everything into place so I literally named the broken file broken.mp3.mp3 which caused the issue with the recovery. Everything seems to be fine now.

Yes, you are right. My bad for not having caught it earlier. :open_mouth: