Audacity failed to read a file

Hi all,

Hope the holidays are treating everyone well.

My question: I have Audacity 3.1.2. I just tried to install the latest version, but then realised I also needed to recover a file. Having tried to recover and open the file in question, I now get a message “Audacity failed to read a file in C:” whenever I try to open it. I am trying to open it from a local drive not a network/shared drive, which I know can sometimes be an issue. Does anyone know if/how I might be able to recover the file?

The error message I get when trying to open it is below - any help/suggestions would be most gratefully received:

{
“timestamp”: 1640544468,
“event_id”: “5cd042bf7bbac347b1777eeb71477b61”,
“platform”: “native”,
“release”: “audacity@3.1.2”,
“contexts”: {
“os”: {
“type”: “os”,
“name”: “Windows”,
“version”: “10.0.19042”
}
},
“exception”: {
“values”: [
{
“type”: “File_Error”,
“value”: “Audacity failed to read from a file in .”,
“mechanism”: {
“type”: “runtime_error”,
“handled”: false,
“data”: {
“sqlite3.rc”: “101”,
“sqlite3.context”: “SqliteSampleBlock::Load::step”
}
}
}
]
}
}

So if you care to zip up your .aup3 file and upload it to a public file sharing service, then post (or PM me) the link, I’ll take a look at it. :slight_smile:

Thanks so much, jademan; I really appreciate your help. A link is below - please do let me know if I can help with anything from my end:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1GkknfYCVW8-WYcOQrLcT23Yv_Xmo2a11

Yes, you will need to provide access…

Apologies - I thought that I had set it to open access already. Hopefully the link below will work, but just let me know if not (and sorry again for the minor incompetence):

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DmLR2YZtCh5UIRwdK3nHXAAvlEGsYKJr/view?usp=sharing

OK, I am able to reproduce your problem. More later…

So far, my tools (including some new ones) have not produced any useful results. There is audio in the project, but so far is seems quite scrambled - I have asked the developers for some assistance. We’ll see what we get. Cross your fingers - hopefully there will be better news in 24 hours or so… :frowning:

Thank you so much for all the time and effort you’ve put in on my behalf; I’m very grateful. And, as you say, I’ll have my fingers very much crossed that something usable comes out of it…

OK, so the developers looked at your project and developed yet another recovery tool to address these issues. I have PM’d a link to the recovered file. :smiley:

Thanks so much, jademan. I’ve opened the file and it’s working perfectly. (I’ve also immediately backed it up - a lesson learned there.) You’ve saved me having to do over a lot of work over, and the time you’ve put it on my behalf is very much above and beyond the call of duty. I’ll be making a donation to Audacity to say thank you, but please do PM me if you’ve another cause I can support to show appreciation, too.

Glad to hear that you are back up and running. I’ll tell the developers. :smiley:

Not to worry. Audacity has a different business model now and no longer takes donations. :smiley:

Thank you for providing the project that allowed the developers to identify and provide a solution that others in the future might be able to use. :smiley:

Hello people,

Unfortunately I got the same problem with the same message than Chriswel. After several attempts to fix the issue I discovered this topic. Maybe some hope is allowed !! If it’s ok i would like to know more about the solution found please :smiley:

Thank you so much !
Have a nice day

There is the message I get when I try to open my AUP3 file in Audacity 3.1.3 on Windows 7.

{
“timestamp”: 1654591229,
“event_id”: “4efc688566d60f429204741b90304c09”,
“platform”: “native”,
“release”: “audacity@3.1.3”,
“contexts”: {
“os”: {
“type”: “os”,
“name”: “Windows”,
“version”: “6.1.7601”
}
},
“exception”: {
“values”: [
{
“type”: “File_Error”,
“value”: “Audacity failed to read from a file in .”,
“mechanism”: {
“type”: “runtime_error”,
“handled”: false,
“data”: {
“sqlite3.rc”: “101”,
“sqlite3.context”: “SqliteSampleBlock::Load::step”
}
}
}
]
}
}

So, in most cases, you can fix this problem yourself. See: Corrupt or Otherwise Broken Audacity Project Recovery