Audacity crashing frequently and Recovery fails EVERY TIME

Hi,

how’s everyone getting on with Audacity’s automated recovery system?

It used to work well for me.

I’ve been running Audacity 3.2, this year, over High Sierra 10.13.6 on an upgraded iMac Mid 2011 (plenty of RAM, and Hard Drive space, with 2 out of 3 terabytes still unused).

Just this month, I am getting a much larger number of crashes (freezing with the beachball) — one or two a day — and, with every crash I quit out of, recovery is offered, but proves totally incapable of locating a single .au file.

I upgraded to 3.3 yesterday to see if that could correct problems. (I lost all of my custom EQ settings, annoyingly — if you do rely on custom EQ curves, you might want to wait for 3.4 which will at least allow imports.) But the crashes have not abated, whilst automatic recovery is still proving impossible. Essentially every .au is presented as silence; my project’s last saved data folder and .AUP appear immediately to have been updated with that silence (whether I had chosen to save the recovered file or not); and the autosave backup folder in Application Support is emptied of .au files.

Two questions:

1. Any suggestions as to what might be going wrong or how to set about resolving it so that
    a. I get fewer crashes
    b. recovery can once more find most of the audio files it needs?

2. As a general request, couldn’t Audacity, as a matter of course, make a backup of the AutoSave folder before attempting recovery
    so that at least the last set of data before any crash is preserved even when recovery does fail?

Here is the log file:

Here is the log:
Screen Shot 2019-12-28 at 13.36.58.png
Screen Shot 2019-12-28 at 13.51.29.png
Screen Shot 2019-12-28 at 14.08.37.png

If you have to post multiple pages of text, Copy the original work, select the code tag </> from the forum tool bar and Paste. That will present it in abbreviated form so it doesn’t take over the look of the forum page.

Let me read this back to you: Audacity crashes all the time but lately, it’s gotten much worse and Recovery is much less effective.

Do you go through the double Shut Down and Start after each crash, so the Mac has a chance to clean out the debris?

(plenty of RAM, and Hard Drive space, with 2 out of 3 terabytes still unused).

Who did the drive upgrade?

Koz