Audacity crashes when importing a file

Hi,
When ever I import a file, audacity crashes. I have to close it manually using task manager. I’ve attached a log below. I got this from help > diagnose > show log.

23:27:53: Audacity 3.2.1
23:27:53: sqlite3 message: (1) no such table: project in "SELECT 1 FROM project LIMIT 1;"
23:27:53: Error: Failed to load shared library 'avformat-59.dll' (error 126: The specified module could not be found.)
23:27:53: Error: Failed to load shared library 'avformat-58.dll' (error 126: The specified module could not be found.)
23:27:53: Error: Failed to load shared library 'avformat-57.dll' (error 126: The specified module could not be found.)
23:27:53: FFmpeg libraries loaded successfully from: C:\Program Files\FFmpeg For Audacity\avformat-55.dll
23:27:57: sqlite3 message: (283) recovered 2 frames from WAL file C:\Users\name\AppData\Local\audacity\SessionData\New Project 2022-10-29 23-27-00 N-1.aup3unsaved-wal
23:27:57: Loaded 61 string 1.085938 Kb in size
23:27:57: Project loaded in 94 ms

I’m assuming the errors about missing DLLs are the problem? I don’t know what could be missing though, as I’ve uninstalled and reinstalled audacity several times. I’m on Windows 10 22h2.

Unlikely. The first 6 messages aren’t really errors - they occur for everyone. I think the latter 3 messages indicate Audacity was trying to recover from a prior crash - probably the one you were talking about. If you can exit Audacity without errors, these three messages should no longer appear when you startup.

Is it always the same one? What kind of file is it? Do other programs play it? Can you load it into VLC and convert it to .WAV and then import into Audacity?

These are all different files, all of them .wav. Vlc plays it fine. Also tried importing other file types like .mp3 and it also crashes Audacity.

Does it crash or just hang? Do you want to share a screenshot ?

What happens why you try to Generate a 30-second chirp?

How about a 60-minute chirp?

It crashes. I’ve attached a screenshot.

Weirdly, it seems to work without crashing. I was able to generate both a 30 second and a 60 second chirp without Audacity crashing.

That looks like a hang to me. You may just need to give it more time, particularly if it is a large file. :smiley:

And a 60-minute chirp ? :wink:

Yeah it looks to be a hang. I was just a bit too impatient :blush:

Glad to hear you got this sorted. :smiley:

It’s odd though because when I import a large file I get a progress dialog and not an apparent “hang”

Testing with a two hour stereo WAV fike:

Peter