Audacity adding blank sound to file

I am using Windows XP with 2.0 and everytime I export a wav file audacity adds 9 seconds of silent sound to the file. For radio spots this is frustrating. I cut out the extra and export again and it won’t work unless I export it with a different file name. Is there some setting to change since it never did this before?

it won’t work unless I export it with a different file name.

Exporting with the same filename – “stepping” on the old file – is insanely dangerous. If anything happens to the machine during the export, it could destroy both the old and new shows.

it never did this before

Before what?

Koz

Whatever the problem is, update to the latest 2.0.5 version: Audacity ® | Download for Windows .

Are you sure you are not looking at the “-old” version of the WAV file which will be the same as the file you imported? If you go to Edit > Preferences, choose “Import / Export”, select “Make a copy of uncompressed files…” then click OK, there won’t be any -old versions to clean up.

Gale

Before the new versions of audacity. Everytime I try to update to the latest version it goes through a long download process and then gives an error message that it can’t complete the process.???

No one has yet answered if I can turn off something so it won’t automatically add the blank sound. The older versions never did this so I’m guessing that it was an added feature in response to those wanting some space between files in a playlist. What is an advantage to some is a pain to others!
Neil

The correct download location is here: Audacity ® | Download for Windows
Clear your web browser cache before you download so as to ensure that you get a fresh download.

There has been no answer because we do not yet know why this is happening. This is not a new feature and it does not happen for us. There have been no other reports of this happening to anyone else either.

The first thing to do is to ensure that you have the current version of Audacity.
When you have successfully downloaded Audacity 2.0.5, run the installer and select the option (during the installation) to “Reset Preferences”. When you launch the Audacity program you will need to confirm that you want the preferences to be reset.

If the problem still occurs after that, please write down a series of precise step-by-step instructions that will recreate the problem, then we may be able to see what is going wrong.