Audacity 3.4 AppImage on Ubuntu 22

I downloaded the latest Audacity 3.4 appimage for Ubuntu 22 & followed the directions for running the Aud3.4 appimage:

It does open, but it takes a long time to load files (longer than it takes to open files using the previously {& still installed} Audacity 2.4). It also looks very boxy & old compared to Aud2.4. Most of what I do w/ Audacity it podcast stuff.

Is 3.4 supposed to look weird & boxy?

Is it worth using 3.4 compared to 2.4?

Does is look weird & run slowly because its not actually installed & is just booting from an image?

Any other thoughts about Audacity 2.4 vs. 3.4 on Ubuntu 22? (please & thank you)

ps- i did download fuse2 & it didn’t speed anything up.

The appimage is meant to be a version that’s guaranteed to be the most up-to-date and working on pretty much all linux distros. Unfortunately, this means it has to use some ancient UI. You can find versions which look a bit more modern in PPAs, flatpak and if you compile Audacity yourself.

but it takes a long time to load files (longer than it takes to open files using the previously {& still installed} Audacity 2.4)

That’s a bug, see Import of audio file now (significantly?) slower · Issue #4999 · audacity/audacity · GitHub

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.