Audacity 3.1.3 - Not Responding

Using Audacity on a Windows 11 64bit machine. Any time I open Audacity I am prompted with two projects to recover. Any selection I make (recover, delete) causes the application to stop responding and I am left with a spinning wheel of death. The application never responds. I have reinstalled Audacity multiple times but am unable to get past this screen.

Even prior to this however, the latest version of Audacity had been crashing on me during simple and routine activities (trimming audio segments, zooming in, applying an equalizer profile). In these instances the app would stop responding for around 30-45 seconds before moving forward with the task.

The files I edit are podcast voice files with two tracks at around 45minutes long at the longest. However, this performance issue occurs on even the smallest of my files.

The biggest problem at this point though is that Audacity is completely inaccessible to me. Because I can’t get past this recovery prompt.

So, I assume that you have tried rebooting.

Next I would try deleting (you can just rename) the following two directories:

C:\Users_YourName_\AppData\Local\Audacity and C:\Users_YourName_\AppData\Roaming\Audacity

(I usually just append the letter “x” to the name of the directory - that way I can always get it back).

If you can’t find the AppData directory, go into File Manager, click on the “View” tab, then check the box to the left of “Hidden items”.