Audacity 3.0.2 on Windows 10 hanging when opening project

Hey folks,

Audacity 3.0.2, Windows 10 (Version 10.0.19042 Build 19042)

I’m hoping someone from the Audacity development team can help me. I spent a lot of time creating a project with about 20 or so tracks, and all was going well. Saved it many times, re-opened it many times, over the course of a few days…all good. Then I made a “mistake” somewhere in the Extra menu, trying one of the Scriptables (I think it was Scriptables I/Set Track Audio). I was just playing around trying to set the gain for multiple tracks at once. Well, Audacity hung and was unresponsive…and after about 15 minutes I had no choice but to kill Audacity.

Since then, I have been unable to open my AUP3 project file. Every time I try, it loads and tantalizes me by showing all the tracks, but immediately hangs and uses about 20% of my CPU forever, and is unresponsive. I’ve even left it running for over 10 hours, but it just sits there in what seems like an infinite loop. I am sure my tracks are in there…but something seems to have gone horribly wrong with part of the SQLite database.

If I were to upload my project file somewhere, would one of the team developers be able to help me, at the very least, extract the tracks contained within? Or, maybe find the problem and correct/repair the AUP3 project file? Perhaps my situation will help others as well.


Sure. Zip up your .aup3 file and upload it to a public file sharing service. PM me a link. I’ll take a look at it.

Hey jademan, I would love to do that…and I’ve done the first part. But this forum won’t allow me to send you a PM because (apparently) I’m too new and haven’t participated in enough discussion yet. Is there another way I can share the link with you?

Is that your email address? I have sent you an email.


I’m looking at your project and I am having no difficulty with it whatsoever. Everything looks good. I have to run out now - I’ll be back later…

OK, so as I said earlier, I do not believe there is anything wrong with your .aup3 file.

You could have issues similar to what you describe if your project is located on a network or cloud drive. Perhaps your configuration was somehow damaged when you went into the extra menu. To clear your configuration file, you can try Tools > Reset Audacity, or you can delete the audacity.cfg file in your c:/Users//Appdata/Roaming/audacity directory.

I am uploading 3 zip files and will PM you when the upload is done.

  1. this contains all of your wav files from an export multiple.
  2. this contains a backup save of your .aup3 project
  3. this contains all of your wav files with names sorted by track number, and leading spaces removed (Edit > Preferences > Import/Export > Ignore blank space at the beginning)

I’m happy to help. I’m glad that you are back in business. :smiley: