Audacity 2.3.2 wil not start on Linux mint 19.1 cinnamon

Hi there,

After installing audacity 2.3.2 on Linux mint 19.1 Cinnamon it will not start.
What log files are Audacity using?
I’ve looked at the syslog and mint system.log with tail -f option but no changes or error are logged when (try to) start audacity.
Will someone tell me where the audacity logging are placed?

Kind regards
Cor
(Ancostva)

Audacity doesn’t write system logs.
Once Audacity is running, it has it’s own log window https://manual.audacityteam.org/man/help_menu_diagnostics.html#show_log

Other than that, you can launch Audacity from a terminal window, and anything that Audacity writes to stderr will appear in the terminal window (though note that there are many “errors” that are perfectly normal as Audacity tries multiple options to see what hardware and libraries are available).

Where did you get Audacity 2.3.2 from? (it’s not yet in the official Ubuntu repository).

Hi Steve,
Thanks for you answer.

I added in the PPA’so deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntuhandbook1/audacity/ubuntu bionic main

Than I can install (in this case) the newest Audacity.
However the previously version for Mint (ubuntu) has the same problem. Does not start.

This is the result when starting audacity from a terminal window.

./audacity
Fatal Error: Mismatch between the program and library build versions detected.
The library used 3.0 (wchar_t,compiler with C++ ABI 1009,wx containers,compatible with 2.8),
and wxCore used 3.0 (wchar_t,compiler with C++ ABI 1011,wx containers,compatible with 2.8).
Aborted

I will at a later moment deinstall this new version from a terminal window en install the original version for this version of Mint.
Just to see if this older version also asked for the 3.0 library.

Kind regards,
Cor

This is not the first report of this problem with the ubuntuhandbook version. There appears to be a problem with that build.
Please report the problem to the maintainer of that PPA.

You could build it from source code, or wait for Ubuntu to update their version, or you could look for a flatpak or snap version. (Note that flatpak and snap builds are not official releases).

Audacity 2.3.2 must be built with wxWidgets 3.0 or 3.1. The 2.8 version is incompatible and no longer supported.

Hi Steve,

The flatpak I did use, but it has a poor GUI.
I will report it to the maintainer.

Thanks for so far

Kind regards,
Cor