Audacity 2.1 crashes

For a while I tried the earlier versions of Audacity, but they crashed after a few seconds either in playing or recording. Just downloaded and installed 2.1. The playing of a single track went just fine. Then I tried to remove clicks. The result was just noisy noise and Audacity frooze. Same bulls… as in 2.05. Is there a way to solve the problem or do I have to reformat my harddisk and install Windows on my computer?

There is no version “2.1”. Look in “Help > About Audacity” for the full version number.
Where did you obtain this version of Audacity?

Nor is there any “2.05” version of Audacity. :wink:

Please tell us exactly what version of Ubuntu you are using (all four numbers).

If you install arbitrary versions of Audacity from Ubuntu repositories these may be illegitimate builds that used a version of wxWidgets that those versions of Audacity did not support. As a result those versions are crash-prone.

Audacity 2.1.2 now supports recent wxWidgets 3.x. Until your version of Ubuntu updates to Audacity 2.1.2, I strongly recommend uninstalling whatever versions(s) of Audacity you have and install this 2.1.2 PPA of Audacity https://launchpad.net/~ubuntuhandbook1/+archive/ubuntu/audacity.

Be sure to install the Audacity 2.1.2 PPA for the version of Ubuntu that you have.

Gale

My version 2.0.5 I got through Ubuntu’s software center (Ubuntu 14.04 LTS). The version 2.1.2 I downloaded and installed via Terminal. I assume it comes from, in my case, the Dutch Ubuntu-server. And yes I’m no expert in whatsoever.

Ubuntu 14.04 only comes with Audacity 2.0.5.

If you installed a Daily Build from https://launchpad.net/~audacity-team/+archive/ubuntu/daily I would uninstall it. Those are alpha (unstable) builds that are made between official releases of Audacity. You should not use those unless you are a developer or software tester.

Again, if you have not done so already I recommend you uninstall all your versions of Audacity then install this 2.1.2 PPA of Audacity https://launchpad.net/~ubuntuhandbook1/+archive/ubuntu/audacity.

To uninstall 2.0.5:

sudo apt-get remove audacity

If you installed the Daily Builds as above:

sudo apt-get install ppa-purge

sudo ppa-purge ppa:audacity-team/daily

Gale

Bedankt. I will do that. I tell you if it helps (the 2.0.5-version didn’t work at all).

Onraad

I did just that. First I tried the instructions on the launchpad web page. No command deb, I got (undoubtly I did the wrong thing). Uninstalled audacity from my computer as told and reinstalled it form (I guess) the Dutch repository: version 2.1.2. Loaded a song (Vous permettez monsieur from Adamo) and after 10 seconds it frooze. So, what is the big secret others using Audacity/Ubuntu are hiding for me?

:smiley: No secret.
Now that we have eliminated the old Ubuntu build as the cause, my suspicions fall on the sound system. Audacity can be rather sensitive to instability in the sound system. That’s not a problem so long as the sound system is rock solid, but Audacity is like a miner’s canary - even a small instability in the sound system can cause Audacity to fall over.

Probably best to start with factory default settings.
Shut down Audacity, then find the hidden folder

~/.audacity-data/

(“~/” means your home folder)
Delete the files:
“audacity.cfg”
“pluginsettings.cfg”
and if it exists “pluginregistry.cfg”

Launch Audacity.
Go to “Help > Audio device info” and copy and paste the info into your reply (there’s quit a lot of text, so before you paste it into your reply, click the “Code” button above the message composing box and then paste between the “code tags” like this;

[code]
paste the info here...

[/code]

==============================
Default recording device number: 4
Default playback device number: 4
Device ID: 0
Device name: HD-Audio Generic: HDMI 0 (hw:0,3)
Host name: ALSA
Recording channels: 0
Playback channels: 8
Low Recording Latency: -1,000000
Low Playback Latency: 0,005805
High Recording Latency: -1,000000
High Playback Latency: 0,034830
Supported Rates:
Device ID: 1
Device name: HD-Audio Generic: ALC269VC Analog (hw:2,0)
Recording channels: 2
Playback channels: 2
Low Recording Latency: 0,005805
Low Playback Latency: 0,008707
High Recording Latency: 0,034830
Supported Rates:
Device ID: 2
Device name: hdmi
Recording channels: 0
Playback channels: 8
Low Recording Latency: -1,000000
Low Playback Latency: 0,005805
High Recording Latency: -1,000000
Supported Rates:
Device ID: 3
Device name: pulse
Recording channels: 32
Playback channels: 32
Low Recording Latency: 0,008707
Supported Rates:
Device ID: 4
Device name: default
Recording channels: 32
Playback channels: 32
Low Recording Latency: 0,008707
Supported Rates:
Selected recording device: 4 - default
Selected playback device: 4 - default
Supported Rates:
Available mixers:
Available recording sources:
Available playback volumes:
Recording volume is emulated
Playback volume is emulated

Regardless, Ubuntu 14.04 does not offer Audacity 2.1.2 by default. So you must have added some unofficial repository to your software sources.

Gale

If Synaptic Package Manager is installed, you can probably find which repository Audacity has come from by looking in the “Origin” tab.

Where does sound come out from your computer?
Do you make recordings, or just import existing files? If you record, what do you record and how?

repository Audacity comes from

mirror.1000mbps.com. The sound comes from my headphone connection to an amplifier and I am trying to record vinyl records. I just plug in a usb-record player. It worked fine on my Mac using Amadeus but it deceased (my Mac, I mean). Just wanted to try Ubuntu and so I ended up with Audacity (I ocassionally used it on my Mac, preferred Amadeus. Sorry

I assume you are either getting Audacity from a later repository than Trusty (14.04) or you are using an unstable Daily alpha build of Audacity that Ubuntu provide. I still say, doing either of those would give you a build that may be prone to crashes and that you would be much better to use the 2.1.2 Ubuntu Handbook PPA.

According to the Audio Device Info, you don’t have any built-in audio device except HDMI.

When you double-click that “Vous permettez” song, and so I assume it opens in Rhythmbox, how do you physically listen to the song?

Are you using the USB cable to connect the turntable to the computer? If not, try doing that, then restart Audacity. Select the USB audio CODEC explicitly as the Recording Device in Device Toolbar.

Gale

According to the Audio Device Info, you don’t have any built-in audio device except HDMI.

Explain me why Audicty is playing for a while and then crashes.

When you double-click that “Vous permettez” song, and so I assume it opens in Rhythmbox, how do you physically listen to the song?

Through an amplifier

Are you using the USB cable to connect the turntable to the computer? If not, try doing that, then restart Audacity. Select the USB audio CODEC explicitly as the Recording Device in Device Toolbar.

I did all the time.

Does it freeze so you have to force quit it, or crash (it simply disappears)?

If it freezes, see http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Linux_Issues#pulse.

If it crashes, we still don’t know what this Audacity 2.1.2 is and how exactly you chose it. In an English build of Ubuntu 14.04 you would not by default be able to obtain 2.1.2 from Synaptic.

If it is the daily build it is inherently unstable. You should not use daily builds unless you are a developer or software tester.

What does Help > About Audacity… say exactly for Audacity version number? On the “Build Information” tab of About Audacity, what is the program build date (near the bottom)?

How exactly does that “amplifier” connect to the computer? Through the HDMI output? Through an output with a headphones symbol?

The USB audio CODEC does not show in your Audio Device Info so you could not select it. According to that Info, you have chosen the “default” recording and playback devices. Those devices are whatever pulseaudio (the Ubuntu sound mixer) is configured to use.

In a terminal, type:

sudo apt-get install pavucontrol

Then

pavucontrol

to open pavucontrol. You can then choose the recording (input) and playback (output) devices that pulse will use and which Audacity will use if you select “default” devices in Device Toolbar.

In your Audio Device Info I see some external device called “HD-Audio Generic: ALC269VC Analog (hw:2,0)”. Is that actually the USB turntable? To test that, disconnect the USB turntable from the computer, restart Audacity, and see if that “HD-Audio Generic: ALC269VC Analog (hw:2,0)” device is still in Device Toolbar.

If “HD-Audio Generic: ALC269VC Analog (hw:2,0)” is still in Device Toolbar, what is that device? Is it an external sound card?

Gale

I’ll get back to you tomorrow (I’m working on my Mac now). What I can say now is that I did not install Audacity through Synaptic Packet Manager but installed it with Terminal from, I think, the depository I mentioned before (which is, I assume, a mirror of the official Dutch Ubuntu-server/depository).

Ingeschakeld
Programma-informatie
Bouwdatum van het programma:
Jan 22 2016
Commit-id:
No revision identifier was provided
Bouwtype:
release-build

How exactly does that “amplifier” connect to the computer? Through the HDMI output? Through an output with a headphones symbol?

That doesnt matter if I’m recording, aint it? But yes the output connection to the amplifier is the headphone connection.

The USB audio CODEC does not show in your Audio Device Info so you could not select it. According to that Info, you have chosen the “default” recording and playback devices. Those devices are whatever pulseaudio (the Ubuntu sound mixer) is configured to use.

I get a codec if the turn table is connected.

In a terminal, type:

sudo apt-get install pavucontrol

>
> Then
>
> ```text
pavucontrol

to open pavucontrol. You can then choose the recording (input) and playback (output) devices that pulse will use and which Audacity will use if you select “default” devices in Device Toolbar.

I just did that.

In your Audio Device Info I see some external device called “HD-Audio Generic: ALC269VC Analog (hw:2,0)”. Is that actually the USB turntable? To test that, disconnect the USB turntable from the computer, restart Audacity, and see if that “HD-Audio Generic: ALC269VC Analog (hw:2,0)” device is still in Device Toolbar.

If “HD-Audio Generic: ALC269VC Analog (hw:2,0)” is still in Device Toolbar, what is that device? Is it an external sound card?

I have none so it must be the turntable. I will test that. Thanks so far.

So it was built after just after 2.1.2 was released.

In your position I would be very reluctant to use it unless I knew that it was intended for and packaged for Ubuntu 14.04.

Otherwise, using a packaged application that is intended for another version of Ubuntu is a recipe for problems.

I can’t say any more, other than the behaviour is different from English Ubuntu 14.04. If I added extra sources to the list of repositories, I would get the unstable Daily build of Audacity as packaged for Ubuntu 14.04.

And were you getting freezing on playback, or was Audacity disappearing?

It matters because that headphone connection does not appear to be in the Audio Device Info you posted.

If you connected the turntable while Audacity was open, restart Audacity or do Transport > Rescan Audio Devices in the Audacity menu bar so that Audacity “sees” the new device.

Gale

Don’t call it a day before it’s midnight, but I just recorded a few minutes Stones (with the Audio USB Codec) and even played it back without that annoying greying. Maybe Audacity is working now (untill midnight?). Thanks so far for your tremendous support.

If the playback problem was freezing (greying) then it is almost certainly due to that pulseaudio latency setting: http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Linux_Issues#pulse.

If you choose the “default” playback device in Audacity, this will be the “fallback” (default) playback device you set in pavucontrol and you may still get playback freezing sometimes unless you change the latency value.

If rather than choosing the “default” playback device in Audacity you choose the (hw) playback device for whatever is your default playback device in pavucontrol, this bypasses pulse and plays directly to the audio device. You should not then receive any freezing when playing, but you will not be able to use any other playback applications wile Audacity is playing, and Audacity will “error opening sound device” if you try to play while another application is playing audio. This might also occur if the other application is merely running rather than playing.

Gale