Audacity 2.1.1 will not launch

Mac OS X 10.6.8
Audacity 2.1.1

I recently downloaded Audacity for first time and it seemed to be running fine. Suddenly today the program crashed then failed to load. I deleted the program and downloaded it again. I did NOT try running program from the DMG.
Program will still not load. It flashes briefly on the status bar, then quits.
I read the related post and this seems similar. I tried the fix but could not find the .cfg file anywhere on my computer.
Any ideas?

You should be able to find the file “~/Library/Application Support/audacity/”

Just open a finder window, look at your pull down menus on the upper left of your screen. You should See “Go” as a pull down menu. Click on it. Look at the bottom you will see “Go to Folder” click on it. A menu will slide down from the top of your Finder Window with the text “Go to the folder:” in the blank space below that paste the text

~/Library/Application Support/audacity/

then click go. You finder window should display about four items one of them should be “audacity.cfg” trash that file and open Audacity again and that should do it.

I had the same problem and this worked for me.

Good Luck

I have just, on the advice of Gale Andrews, downloaded Audacity 2.1.1 for Mac. It seems to have deleted some but not all Audacity applications in my computer, one of which, 1.3.12, which Gale Andrews vehemently advises me to delete, is the only version of Audacity i have which will record from my Ion vinyl turntable ( and which appears to have been modified by an installation CD from Ion to do so, since the original version even of this won’t) - the others will edit, but only after the recording has been filed in iTunes and recovered to desktop. What 2.1.1. will not do is launch, even when I follow the recipe on your home page for doing so. it appears you are aware that this may happen with OS X 7 and above, but no mention is made of 6.8 Since I want to know if it will record from my Ion I can’t even get to the point where I can ask.

I’ve seen another Audacity forum with advice for creating a work-around file in another version of Audacity for this same problem, but nothing relating to Mac OS X 6.8, and even if it does, I can’t find it again.

Has anyone in my position actually worked this problem through to a solution?

If you install Audacity into the same folder, older versions of Audacity files will be replaced with the newer versions that are in the installer.

There was nothing “vehement” in my response, especially considering you wrote to an address that isn’t for tech support.

Here is what I wrote to you.

James,

There is no such Audacity version as “2.2.1”.

1.3.12 is an old Beta version with many bugs. I recommend you quit it, trash it, then in Finder, use Go > Go to Folder to access ~/Library/Application Support/audacity/ . Note the tilde denoting your user Library. In that “audacity” folder, delete the “audacity.cfg” settings file.

Then I recommend you obtain the latest 2.1.1 version from > http://audacityteam.org/download/mac> . With audacity.cfg file deleted, 2.1.1 will have clean new preferences meant for that version.

In 2.1.1, use Device Toolbar: > http://manual.audacityteam.org/o/man/device_toolbar.html >
to select the playback device your computer speakers or headphones are connected to. If you do not see that device, use Transport > Rescan Audio Devices.

If that does not help, restart the computer. If the problem persists, try playing some audio in QuickTIme.

Please note this isn’t a support address, and is only for Audacity bug reports and feature requests. If you have any more questions specific to use of Audacity, please feel free to ask on the Audacity
Forum: > http://forum.audacityteam.org/viewforum.php?f=47> .

Your original message was brief and hard to understand. You said “Now it will only sound on Audacity 1.3.12. and only record to it.” I took that to mean you could record using 1.3.12 but not hear what you had recorded.

Please be aware that you have to launch Audacity after the turntable is connected and recognised by the Mac.

If you connect the turntable after Audacity is running, choose Transport > Rescan Audio Devices from the Audacity menu bar.

Please explain that in more detail. Do you mean “played” when you say “filed”?

2.1.1 may not launch when there is an audacity.cfg settings file created by older Audacity versions. That bug has been fixed for the next 2.1.2 version.

Because of that bug, I asked you to do the following, which will solve that problem:

In Finder, use Go > Go to Folder to access ~/Library/Application Support/audacity/ . Note the
tilde denoting your user Library. In that “audacity” folder, delete the “audacity.cfg” settings file.

The problem on 10.7 and later with the Gatekeeper security routine does not apply to OS X 10.6.8.

To solve the launch problem, please follow my original advice to delete audacity.cfg.

Yes for the audacity.cfg, and yes Audacity 2.1.1 will record from Ion turntables.

For your information, I have an Ion turntable, a Mac Mini and Yosemite and El Capitan.

Snow Leopard is very old now, but as far as we know it should record from a USB turntable, if you connect it before launching Audacity. Is there a reason you are hanging on to Snow Leopard?

Also please tell us about your Mac (Apple menu, choose “About This Mac”).

Gale

Been sick in the hospital, but I’m back.
Thanks for the reply earlier.
I tried the fix and found the file this time. I did as suggested and the program launched successfully.
Now, however, I can’t save the .aup file and I can’t export to MP3 file as is my intent. the program locks in a loop of some kind and I have to force quit out of the program manager. When I reopen the program I have to option to recover my previous file but it again locks with the spinning ball indicating program is “busy”. When I open the program manager it shows Audacity is “program not responding”. I have tried this three times, deleting files each time in order to be able to get audacity to load. It seems to load fine, records my voice files with no problem. I can edit the project, again without problem. I just can’t save, or export the file. I have lost about 20 hours of work.
Prior to these problems I saved six different project doing things in just the same way. I exported the MP3 files and saved the .aup files for later editing if needed. All of those files open and play just fine. MP3 for my iPhone and .aup for audacity editing.

Definitely frustrating.

Any suggestions?

What files are you deleting, the AUTOSAVE files that Audacity recovers from? You can attach those if they are hanging and we could take a look.

Did you trash the audacity.cfg file, or just edit the “1.2” out of it?

Where are you trying to export or save to? Does exporting or saving to your Desktop work?

Where is the Audacity temp folder according to Audacity’s Directories Preferences? How much space is there on that drive?

You may have permissions issues. You could open Finder, Go > Utilities > Disk Utility then do Verify Disk and Repair Permissions.

Gale

Regarding your questions:

What files are you deleting… - Yes, I deleted the AUTOSAVE files. the recover screen showed a list that I highlighted and selected to recover the file. That’s when it would hang up and the program would become unresponsive.

Did you trash the audacity.cfg file, or just edit the “1.2” out of it? - I tried both. First I deleted the 1.2. that didn’t work so I deleted the .cfg file

Where are you trying to export or save to? Does exporting or saving to your Desktop work? Initially I was saving to my desktop, but my hard disk doesn’t have enough space so I reconfigured to a peripheral 1 TB disk.

Where is the Audacity temp folder according to Audacity’s Directories Preferences? How much space is there on that drive? - Audacity preferences shows temp as: /var/folders/6x/6x8bbEbbKHxiyLcRKAJqYgk+++TI/-Tmp-audacity-albertdelagarza

4.6GB

I went through the preferences on this and it looks like this file is located on the appropriate peripheral disk that I identified in preferences. The size may be the problem, but I don’t see how to increase the size. There is plenty of disk space to accomodate (>800GB), I just don’t see where I can increase the useable space on the temp drive.

You may have permissions issues. You could open Finder, Go > Utilities > Disk Utility then do Verify Disk and Repair Permissions. - I’m leaving this as a last resort

OK but selection does not work - Audacity tries to recover all the listed projects, selected or not.

4.6 GB may easily not be enough if you were trying to save or recover multiple longer projects. Remember that by default an hour of stereo audio takes 1.2 GB in Audacity. Edit the entire audio once and because undo is stored, the project then takes 2.4 GB.

When you connect this peripheral disk, does it appear as a mounted disk in Finder? If so, then when you navigate to this disk in Directories Preferences and select it (or a folder in it) as the Audacity temp folder, the displayed location should (I assume) start with “/Volumes/” . The fact that Audacity still reports only 4.6 GB space makes me think you are not selecting the peripheral drive.

Well, in my experience Mac file permissions break often. :frowning:

Gale