Audacity 2.1.1 Doubling Generate and Effects

OS-X 10.9.5 (Mavericks)
Mac Mini
Audacity 2.1.0
Audacity 2.1.1

Separate install folders under /Applications. I’ve been doing it this way all the way back to 2.0.3.

2.1.0 still seems to run OK, but 2.1.1 has double entries for both Generate and Effects (attached). I opened up Manage, but there is no Delete option.

??

I was in the system getting the list of add-on effects and tools to make 2.1.1 match the config for 2.1.0. Once in the process, one of them wouldn’t launch because of an “Already Running” issue. My impression is both were closed at the time. I couldn’t tell you more than that. It responded to Force Quit and I restarted the Mac. They will both launch one at a time now, but the duplicates still exist.

Koz
Screen Shot 2015-07-24 at 16.55.33.png
Screen Shot 2015-07-24 at 16.52.21.png

Yes, we know. It was a deliberate decision to remember the same-named plugins that Audacity had seen in different folder paths. Then if the user has different versions of the same-named plugins in different paths (for example they are testing a stable and beta version of the plug-in) they can take advantage of that and use both plugins.

We considered disregarding duplicate plugins if they were hash-identical (as most of your duplicates would be) but it was considered too much work.

You can select and disable the duplicates in Plug-in Manager. Or, quit Audacity then delete pluginregistry.cfg in ~/Library/Application Support/audacity/. When you launch Audacity it will be back to one copy in the menus of all the enabled plugins

Yes, Plug-in Manager should IMO have a reset button - I already requested that as an enhancement.

On Windows, I have never seen “Audacity is already running” when accessing a duplicate plugin. That would be a bug, I think.

Gale

it was considered too much work.

So this is the Loyal User Curse. LUC.

The people most likely to have multiple versions of Audacity against the possibility of New Version Instability are exactly the people destined to experience New Version Instability.

Just reading this back to you.

I’d be more willing to use the “B” word if I was doing known, stable, predictable things at the time. I wasn’t. I couldn’t tell you how I got that message or how to replicate the steps.

What were you doing at the time?
Not paying attention. I’ll pay better attention before I need to next time.

Koz

The duplicate behaviour is a nuisance for testers who flit from one Audacity version to another, but 99.9% of users don’t do that.

It’s only really a problem for shipped plugins that are default-enabled (currently all of them, reading “plugins” as those below the divider in the menu).

Perhaps if Audacity sees an identically named plugin (I mean the name that appears in the menu) then it should always move the duplicate to “New” rather than default-enabling it, even if it’s a shipped default-enabled plugin. Then if you want the duplicate, find it in the Plug-in Manager and enable it. I think that would be better than rejecting duplicates.

Gale