"Another copy of Audacity is running" problem

I had two Audacity projects in progress, when all of a sudden we had a power outage. When power returned I tried to open Audacity and got this message:

The system has detected that another copy of Audacity is running.
Running two copies of Audacity simultaneously may cause
data loss or cause your system to crash.

From a google search there is a lock file at, /var/tmp/audacity-myusername/audacity-lock-myusername that does not get cleaned up after a hard shutdown…that creates this problem.

Can someone please give this newbie simple instructions on how to correct this situation?
Thanks for any and all help!!!

See this FAQ in the Audacity Manual: https://manual.audacityteam.org/man/faq_errors.html#already_running

We have logged this recently as an ENH (enhancement request) in our bug tracker: https://bugzilla.audacityteam.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2052

I’m hoping we might get it fixed for the next release.

Peter

Thanks a million!!!

Hi. I realize this post that I’m replying to is from several years ago, but I’m still having the same issue.

I can see from your Wiki page that the way to correct that is:

On Mac the lock file is in:
:black_small_square: ~/Library/Application Support/audacity/SessionData
Look in the SessionData folder and delete any files and folders you find there.

However, I cannot figure out how to locate that folder on my MacBook Pro.

Can you give me any advice on how to navigate there?

Thank you!

1. run Finder
  2. in the menu bar at the top of screen click Go
  3. select Go to Folder
  4. type this string (or copy and paste it) in the data entry box in “Go to the folder”
~/Library/Application Support/audacity/SessionData
  1. click on ****

Note carefully that the “~” squiggle tilde character at the front of the string is important.

And thanks FleeceActress for following the instructions on our Facebook page and coming here for support (I did see your post there) :smiley:

And actually this is a very recent Forum thread - so you’re actually very current :sunglasses:

Peter

Thank you SO much!! This worked perfectly. :sunglasses: