analyzing stereo and mono tracks

Thanks i downloaded it like the other. I need to find out how to get this into audacity and more important how to get started using it in the audacity platform. Right now i open audacity load a stereo track in but don’t see where i go in the menu to use the plug in ?

o.k. i read the manual it says to install the plug in into the plug folder in audacity. When i drag it into the plug in folder from my desktop it just bounces back out. Also how to i get to any plug in and use it in the audacity window where i drop my tracks in ?

I am not familiar with the Mac, but you should ensure that Audacity is correctly installed, don’t run it in the mounted dmg-image.
It should appear as “2-D Stereo Toolkit”, just beneath the divider (after Wah-wah).

I think it is installed correctly as it works. I can play tracks and see wave forms and use various features. From the advice earlier i am just trying to see stereo wave forms left and right channel and the difference and separation etc. I thought the plug in would do that but reading the manual it appears audacity has something built in to see stereo ?

audacity has something built in to see stereo ?

I wish. Audio Vectorscope is a requested feature.
http://www.nugenaudio.com/phase_scope_vector_VST_AU.php

The fastest way to see what you’re doing is that magnify and look test if you can’t get that plugin to work or it doesn’t do what you want. It has the advantage of working on any audio program, not just Audacity and no software or plugins needed.

Koz

thanks guys if i could get the nyquist plug in to work that would be great. I do see it in the audacity folder just need to know what to do. I load in a track and see 2 blue wave forms that play. Now what do i do to activate the plug in for a stereo look ?

one more question on another subject i assume audacity will not take out a vocal on a track completely ? When i talk to guys in the studio they say it is a very involved process like what Natalie Cole did with her dads track on “unforgettable” .

It isn’t a stereo-visualizer.
For one, it shows you the relationship between the left and right channel.
Select the track and start the plug-in. Search in Effects “2-D Stereo Toolkit” or press the letter 2.
Move to the “Options” multi choice box. Select “Show Analysis” and press OK.
The percentage tells you how much the two channels are related.
You can now isolate or remove the center, if the percentage is less than 100.
You probably want to duplicate the track first (Cmd-shift + d, I guess). Select only one track.
Open the plug-in again and set options back to “Apply Action”.
Choose under “Action” “Remove Center” - OK.
The resulting sound has the center removed e.g. lacks bass, drums vocals or solo instruments. Press the solo button to listen to it in isolation.

There’s some Help text available for each action entry. To display it, select the action and set “Show Help” to “Selected Action”.

great thanks i will try !!!

Have you still got this problem?

First, did you download the DMG of Audacity or the zip? If you got the DMG you must copy the “Audacity” folder from the DMG into your /Applications folder. Then eject the DMG (bottom left of Finder). Then run Audacity from the /Applications folder.

If you still cannot move the NY file into the Audacity Plug-ins folder, try logging is as an administrator. The Mac will not let you add files to /Applications or a sub-folder thereof as a standard user.

Gale

yeah i gave up on trying to add the plug in and it is not a big deal. The main thing I needed was to check stereo vs. mono and i was able to do that. On the other subject will audacity totally take out vocals ? My friends in the studio say it is a very complicated process at the level of what Natalie Cole did with her dad’s recording on “unforgettable”.

i was able to do that.

How? Remember this is a forum and not a help desk.

On the other subject will audacity totally take out vocals ?

You can go with no.

There is a Vocal Removal tool, but it is a “stupid” arithmetic tool that doesn’t actually know what voices are. It deletes everything in the exact left-right middle of a stereo show. Full stop. Anything in the middle goes including usually bass and drums. Any vocal echo effects in the original show will stay behind.

They’re right. It’s difficult to produce a musical result.

Before/After

Koz

Vocal Removal.

That’s not to say it’s impossible. YouTube is full of people who found “celebrity songs” where Vocal Removal works perfectly. But the rule is don’t bet the farm on it.

The result at the end is a mono show, not stereo and if you start out life with a mono performance, the tool won’t do anything.

Koz

Koz, you’re not up-to-date.
The tool he’s just downloaded produces a true stereo file after voice removal. It also offers the possibility to extract another portion of the audio by rotating the stereo field.
I wouldn’t call my tool “stupid”.
But you’re right, it is highly mathematical and not able to learn.

The greatest problem for voice removal is the reverb.
Stereo reverberation is such that the left side holds a total different signal from the right side, although they sound alike.
Vocal removal attempts to remove all sounds that are common to both channels, therefore the reverb remains, it isn’t related.
You could first isolate the vocals (on a duplicated track) and take this track as profile for the noise removal.
You can now remove the vocals and apply the noise removal with a negative sensivity and a higher frequency-smoothing.
This reduces quiet audio that resembles the removed vocals.
The result is not spectacular though.

I wouldn’t call my tool “stupid”.

I didn’t. The legacy one was. Koz

Make mono and invert one of the tracks.

Gale

Which makes it hard to get it on to the Wiki, let alone ship it in Audacity as replacement for the current very limited tool.

Glancing at your current version, Robert, it does look a little more user-friendly. Note that you have two colons in “Show Help::” .

How many of the “Action Catalog” items could be removed if a there was a version that was only targeted at Vocal Removal and Isolation?

Gale

I was going to say I just read through that again. Your greatly improved one is not the one that comes with stock Audacity. Koz

Well, I think we would just keep 4 remove/isolate actions, the show analysis and probably a help entry.
And of corse the two filter sliders.

Do you mean get rid of the “Inverted” options or the “Full Range” options?

Sorry if it is a stupid question, but is “rotation” useful for removing/isolating material that is not centre-panned?

I do think there could be a lot of benefit in updating the shipped Vocal Remover to use some of your features. Whether your full tool should then include everything it has now, or everything it has now minus vocal removal/isolation but adding some other features, I don’t know.

Gale