#3 Volume post

So this is the number three post I have posted on a couple weeks.
I have 2 questions.

Okay so all I care about is whether my volume is okay for when I turn my interviews into a podcast platform like Buzzsprout or straight to the source like apple music or Spotify that it is around -16 Stereo LUFS -14 mono LUFS.

I am still confused with how every time I import into Audacity the wavelength I see are different size. Which has caused all my frustration and worry. But I think all I really care about is if it is acceptable volume for podcast (-16 LUFS).

1. So my question is is all I need to do is edit the interview how I chose and then Edit>Loudness Normalization>perceived loudness>-16 LUFS?

2. Picture one how the waves look when it is imported.
    Picture 2 how the waves look with -16 LUFS. So the first picture the waves are really non existent then I put it at -16 LUFS and it looks like it is WAY to much. Is it not clipping? Why is there no red to say it is clipping? This looks like it is too loud and clipping😬

PS: I am using good equipment and I am recording in a good quiet environment.
16628329527001326625624931387302.jpg
16628328980482955675237286467159.jpg

Try View > Show Clipping.

Lol yeah I figured that out shortly after posting. Still concern lies when I set it at the podcast recommended -16 LUFS and the wave gets overly large and clipping. I mean you see how small the wave is until I set it at the standard -16. Is wave like that a red flag that something is wrong?

IMO it would benefit from compression and/or limiting.

If the podcast is speech only try the LevelSpeech2 plugin, after normalizing to -16LUFS,
then normalize to -16LUFS again. [LevelSpeech2 is a compressor-limiter]

LevelSpeech2 suggested settings after loudness normalization -16LUFS.jpg
After using a one-band compressor (like LevelSpeech2) sibilance may become too loud, then you need to De-Ess.

Alternatively there is free stand-alone software called Levelator to compress & limit … https://youtu.be/THMKlqvgzjU?t=207

[ Levellator output files may also require De-Essing ].

This is a “normal problem” when shooting-for a loudness target (or an RMS target).

You should be able to follow the [u]Recommended Audiobook Mastering Process[/u] with a couple of changes -

Use LUFS normalization instead of RMS normalization, and you can set the limiter for 0dB.

The “trick” is to limit after setting the loudness. The (slight) limiting pushes-down the peaks with almost no effect on loudness (or the RMS levels),