2.3.2. trouble with split track

Hello. I have used Audacity for many years taking a split track CD of a children’s musical, recording each song in Audacity, selecting split track from the drop down menu, and highlighting and deleting the right track entirely giving me only instrumental accompaniment, no childrens’ voices on the new track, then exporting it as a WAV file to use in performance. I’ve been trying for a week on several different computers and even though I am 100% certain that my cd is split track, when I split the music on audacity it’s not actually dividing the singers from the accompaniment. Has something changed that I’m missing? Please advise if you can help me. I did play the cd on a stereo where I was able to turn off one track and heard what I’m looking for, so I know it’s not the cd.

After you split the file there are “mute” buttons so you can listen to one side at a time. What do you hear when you do that?

I have used Audacity for many years taking a split track CD of a children’s musical,

The same CD? Why would you need to do that more than once?

It’s very unusual (with commercial recordings) to have vocals on one side and instruments on the other. Usually there is a “soundstage image” with instruments in the orchestra/band spread from left to right as they would be on a stage. Lead vocals are usually centered (identical or nearly identical in both channels) but if there is a chorus, choir. or background vocals, those vocals may be spread-out to sound natural.