2.3.1 crash on importing MP3 via Macro


I have a macro that is importing an MP3, shortening it, and then exporting it back to a MP3. This was working great for hundreds of files and now its crashing on import.

It will go through 5-6 files fine, and then get stucks on IMPORTING. I’ve let it sit there for hours but it’s consuming a ton of CPU so assuming there is some loop/leak that is causing it to crash.

Select:End="85" Mode="Set" Start="40" Track="0" TrackCount="75"
Select:End="39.9" Mode="Set" RelativeTo="ProjectStart" Start="0" Track="0" TrackCount="75"
Select:End="2.5" Mode="Set" RelativeTo="ProjectStart" Start="0" Track="0" TrackCount="75"
FadeIn:Use_Preset="<Factory Defaults>"
Select:End="50" Mode="Set" RelativeTo="ProjectStart" Start="42.5" Track="0" TrackCount="75"
FadeOut:Use_Preset="<Factory Defaults>"

Debug info from Audacity attached as well.

Audacity.xml (4.29 KB)
mididev.txt (119 Bytes)

Perhaps there’s a problem with that file. Can you work out which file it is choking on?


First of all, idk how I got that GIF and Screenshot attached in this post. my apologies. Tried to delete them, but no luck.

I did think that maybe it was an issue with the file, but we’ve tried many other files and sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesnt work. There doesn’t seem to be ONE file, or type of file for that matter, that is causing this to choke.

Again, I went through maybe 200 files perfectly fine before this started happening.
The only other config/change that was done was that I installed one of the MP3 libraries to handle M4A file types. Soon after this is when it started happening. I’ve since deleted that library, reinstalled Audacity, and same issue occurs.

Thank you,

Have you rebooted your computer lately? If not, try that (without restarting every currently running application)

Tried that already too.
I am going to try that macro on another OSX laptop and see what happens.

Something must have gotten corrupt (settings, libraries, etc) because this was working.

Is there a list where all files are installed for audacity besides ~/library/audacity
Maybe I can try uninstalling completely and be sure that all of the files are removed before we do another clean install.
I can also try to recreate the macro. The file itself looks pretty straightforward, so not sure if that could cause an issue or not.

I will keep you posted.

Audacity has 3 configuration files:

  • audacity.cfg
  • pluginregistry.cfg
  • pluginsettings.cfg

These three files are in:
~/Library/Application Support/audacity/
Note that “~/” means your home folder, and that this “Library” folder is hidden. Use “Go” to open the folder in Finder.

These three files may be deleted while Audacity is not running, and they will be recreated by Audacity automatically (with “factory settings”).