I made what now seems like the mistake of upgrading to 4.0.2. I used the .exe installer.) I did NOT select the box to reset my settings, so I assumed everything would still be as it was with the previous version. It wasn’t.
Now, I am unable to get Audacity to “hear” my sound card. I have followed the tutorial (twice), and tried flipping numerous Windows Sound settings, all to no avail. The baffling thing is that when I first started up 4.0.2, the ONLY thing it would record was the microphone. I’ve stopped it doing that, but now it won’t record from “What U Hear.”
I am running Windows XP, and the audio (from a web site) plays just fine through the speakers. But Audacity is unable to detect it. I’m stumped and frustrated (I use it a lot to record radio programs). Any help would be greatly appreciated.
(Wow, Gale, this is hard to do without having your reply in front of me!)
The changes I was referring to were mostly with the Windows sound settings. I didn’t mean to imply that I am “tinkering” in some way - “experimental” in the sense of “hmm, I’ll try this and see if it helps.”
If you have added or removed an external device
no. didn’t do that.
What previous version of Audacity did you have where this wasn’t a problem?
I have no idea - it’s gone now!! But it was recent.
If you try Windows DirectSound host (first box in Device Toolbar), does it work any better?
I’ll try that. (As I write, I am actually using Audacity - successfully - to record an audio stream.)
Do you have the latest possible drivers for the Audigy?
Audio programs like Audacity have to keep updating their audio interfaces to be compatible with the latest devices. Older devices therefore may not always work correctly but should mostly do so if their drivers are being updated by the device manufacturer and if the user has those latest drivers.
This is getting very confusing. I tried switching to Windows DirectSound, and that has basically the same effect as changing the source setting: When first starting up Audacity, it does not record. Selecting those drop-downs (even choosing the same value again) causes Audacity to record.
All of that tends to make me think that this is not a driver issue. (I have too much on my plate right now to risk updating the driver, in case that makes matters worse. It will have to wait until I can take the time.)