1 channel - 2 channel recording

I’m using the latest 2.0.4 version with Win 7. Working great.

However, I noticed the waveforms were identical between the two channels. I went to sound > recording > microphone > properties > advanced and sure enough, it tripped back to 1 channel.

I threw out a few folders containing digitized vinyl recordings because I did not notice it sooner. No big deal really.

I suppose I could get into the habit of checking each time, but does anyone know why this may have tripped back to the default setting?

Thanks much!

Are you using Mic-In as the connection to your phonograph? Unless you have a special or celebrity laptop, it’s mono. It’s only one of the problems with using Mic-In for a stereo show. Describe your system down to the connections. We may be able to save you a lot of work and/or distortion.

Koz

No distortion that I can hear. In fact, I’ve done a true A/B listening test using a CDr I burned from an Audacity file vs the tt I used to spin the vinyl. I couldn’t tell the difference to save my life.

I’m very pleased using Audacity.

I create folders on my desktop. Two for each album. One file is saved as a wav and the other an mp3.

When my desktop gets full of folders I copy them to hard drives and delete them. Then I add and/or remove files from one of the hard drives to my portable player. It’s great.

A while back I was having problems with distortion when I used a different laptop. I posted an image of a waveform and someone pointed out I had been recording one channel only. Both wave forms were identical.

I changed the settings per that person’s advice, I’m now using a more powerful desktop machine and have been very happy with my results. I use an NAD pp3i A to D converter and a Music Hall mmf 9.1 tt. USB interface of course.

Anyway, a few days ago I noticed it was recording in mono so I checked the settings and sure enough, 1 channel was selected. I had about 5 files done, the last 3 were in mono. Something caused it to trip back to the default 1 channel setting.

Not a big deal really as it’s easy to check before using. It’s just that you all know so much about Windows OS I thought I’d ask.

BTW, I just got a message about Audacity 2.0.5 , going to get it right now.

Thanks for all you folks do!

I use an NAD pp3i A to D converter and a Music Hall mmf 9.1 tt. USB interface of course.

The Music Hall mmf 9.1 has a 50Hz motor in it. It doesn’t run from the USB connection. Are you using the NAD as the preamp and digital interface?

Were you in Audacity 2.0.3 or 2.0.4?

Windows likes to try and guess what you want. It’s not unheard of for it to reassign the speakers when you plug a microphone or converter in, so there may not be a simple explanation. That and 2.0.4 had some advances that didn’t advance everybody.

Koz

The Music Hall mmf 9.1 has a 50Hz motor in it. It doesn’t run from the USB connection. Are you using the NAD as the preamp and digital interface?
Yes, In fact, the NAD can accommodate Low Output moving coil carts (I have this) or high output moving magnet carts (my Rega has this).

Were you in Audacity 2.0.3 or 2.0.4?

Windows likes to try and guess what you want. It’s not unheard of for it to reassign the speakers when you plug a microphone or converter in, so there may not be a simple explanation. That and 2.0.4 had some advances that didn’t advance everybody.
Actually I do plug and unplug the USB connection when I’m not using it as the sound card is taken over by it when it’s plugged in and I can hear anything else.

If I could change the default to “2 channel CD quality” that would be good. For now I’ll continue to check it before I record. When I started the computer today it was set to 1 channel.

Again, I appreciate your help.