Audacity 2.2.0 - What Happened?!?

Feedback and Reviews for Audacity 2.x

This board is ONLY for general feedback and discussion about Audacity 2.X.

If you require help, or think you have found a "bug", please post on the forum board relevant to your operating system.
Windows
Mac OS X
GNU/Linux and Unix-like

Audacity 2.2.0 - What Happened?!?

Permanent link to this post Posted by DG1960 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:22 am

Big disappointment here-haven't noticed anybody else mentioning these things yet in the forum so I thought I would share this feedback. Some features in 2.2.0 seem to be dropped or altered for no reason-for example, being able to see the waveform in it's entirety when first opening a file-just to get a good visual overview right from the start-is gone from 'Preferences'. ('Tracks'> 'Automatically fit tracks vertically zoomed') Now each file has to be manually configured each and every time to show it start-to-finish.

And moving 'Track Start to Cursor'/ 'Cursor to Track End' from the 'Edit' column was a misguided move as I used them often in conjunction with 'Remove Special'> 'Trim Audio' and 'Delete' all the time.

Now there are simply too many different buttons to click than before and its way too inconvenient. And a couple of builds ago, I could open different tracks simultaneously in Audacity and toggle between them by simply pressing the play button in each file which would stop whatever track was playing previously and start the next one. This was very useful in determining sound levels by ear when compiling songs from different sources rather than using artificial 'normalizing' techniques and could be done fairly rapidly between files. Now one has to press the stop button before being able to start a different track which slows down the process considerably and lessens the accuracy of matching sound levels with all this time lost moving between tracks.

Sorry, I'll being sticking with 2.1.2 until these features come back. Audacity has been tremendously useful, overall, and I am very grateful that it is freely available to everyone but the message I would like to give the developers is 'less bells & whistles' , 'more basic/useful functions' and, above all, 'don't fix what isn't broken!'
DG1960

Operating System: Windows 10

Re: Audacity 2.20 - What Happened?!?

Permanent link to this post Posted by waxcylinder » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:27 pm

DG1960 wrote:Big disappointment here-haven't noticed anybody else mentioning these things yet in the forum so I thought I would share this feedback. Some features in 2.20 seem to be dropped or altered for no reason-for example, being able to see the waveform in it's entirety when first opening a file-just to get a good visual overview right from the start-is gone from 'Preferences'. ('Tracks'> 'Automatically fit tracks vertically zoomed').

This was a bug that crept into 2.2.0 (it only failed if you used Open to import an audio file into a new project - using Import itself continued to work fine)

DG1960 wrote: Now each file has to be manually configured each and every time to show it start-to-finish.

The workaround shortcut Ctrl+F or clicking on the Zoom to Fit button in the Edit toolbar is hardly a lot of manual configuation (these are tools that most users would be very accustomed to using while editing)

You should be glad to know that we fixed it for the 2.2.1 version - which was released yesterday: https://bugzilla.audacityteam.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1750

WC
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * FAQ * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Audacity Manual * * * * * Audacity Wiki * * * * *
waxcylinder
Forum Staff

Re: Audacity 2.2.0 - What Happened?!?

Permanent link to this post Posted by waxcylinder » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:38 pm

DG1960 wrote:And moving 'Track Start to Cursor'/ 'Cursor to Track End' from the 'Edit' column was a misguided move as I used them often in conjunction with 'Remove Special'> 'Trim Audio' and 'Delete' all the time.

Therre are handy pre-configured shortcuts for those useful if you ase the all the time

Shift+J 'Track Start to Cursor'/

Shift+K 'Cursor to Track End'

Delete also has a shortcut Ctrl+K

Trim Audio has a button on the Edit Toolbar and shortcut Ctrl+T

WC
* * * * * FAQ * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Audacity Manual * * * * * Audacity Wiki * * * * *
waxcylinder
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by waxcylinder » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:46 pm

DG1960 wrote: And a couple of builds ago, I could open different tracks simultaneously in Audacity and toggle between them by simply pressing the play button in each file which would stop whatever track was playing previously and start the next one. This was very useful in determining sound levels by ear when compiling songs from different sources rather than using artificial 'normalizing' techniques and could be done fairly rapidly between files. Now one has to press the stop button before being able to start a different track which slows down the process considerably and lessens the accuracy of matching sound levels with all this time lost moving between tracks'

The fastest way to do this is to import all the tracks into the same project and use the Solo & Mute buttons in their Track Control Panels.

See this page in the Manual: https://manual.audacityteam.org/man/aud ... .html#mute

Tht way you just keeo the play going and use sat the Solo button to switch between tacks - the Muted tracks will then not be played

WC
waxcylinder
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by waxcylinder » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:48 pm

DG1960 wrote:Sorry, I'll being sticking with 2.1.2 until these features come back.

Which would be a great shame since we have fixed many bugs since 2.1.2 was released nearly two years ago now

WC
waxcylinder
Forum Staff

Return to Audacity 2.x Feedback and Reviews