breaking recorded track

Help for Audacity 2.x.x on GNU/Linux.

ImageThis forum is for Audacity 2.x.x on GNU/Linux and Unix-like operating systems.
Please state which version of Linux you are using, the exact three-section version number of Audacity from Help > About Audacity... and whether you installed your distribution's release or daily version of Audacity or compiled Audacity from source code.

Audacity 1.2.x and 1.3.x are obsolete and no longer supported. If you still have those versions, please upgrade at https://www.audacityteam.org/download/.
The old forums for those versions are now closed, but you can still read the archives of the 1.2.x and 1.3.x forums.

breaking recorded track

Permanent link to this post Posted by fretski » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:55 pm

For unknown reasons the recorded track has gaps in it. To fix I usually get away with just merely changing the *buffer-length* in preferences/devices. It doesn't really matter if it's a + or a - change. The condition most often materializes on first use but not invariably.

breaking-130-40.mp3
(413.63 KiB) Downloaded 4 times

breaking-not-129-40.mp3
(320.06 KiB) Downloaded 4 times

These sample files have in their name the Buffer-Length and the Track-Shift.
Suse-Tumbleweed/Audacity -2.2.0, amd-8-core, 16gb ram.
fretski

Operating System: GNU/Linux other

Re: breaking recorded track

Permanent link to this post Posted by fredex » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:46 pm

I've had similar results when something was hogging most of the cores on my CPU. It could be anything, but in my case I was running Folding At Home on 5 of the 6 cores. Simply pausing it solved the problem.
fredex

Operating System: Linux Fedora/RHEL

Re: breaking recorded track

Permanent link to this post Posted by fretski » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:48 am

fredex wrote:I've had similar results when something was hogging most of the cores on my CPU. It could be anything, but in my case I was running Folding At Home on 5 of the 6 cores. Simply pausing it solved the problem.

I know what you mean I've seen similar problems while using rosegarden but is this case qJackctl is really the only other app running.

*i forgot BTW that qJackctl is running in this case also*

What seems suspect is that any tiny change in the buffer size, up or down at that, fixes it. It's almost as if some default or initial value was wrong and as soon as another one replaces it the problem vanishes, or maybe some sort of rescan takes place that didn't take place the same way initially. I'm no guru so I can only take the wildest of unfounded guesses.
fretski

Operating System: GNU/Linux other

Return to GNU/Linux and Unix-like