No ability to control record level.

Help for Audacity 2.x.x on Mac OS X.

ImageThis forum is for Audacity 2.x.x on Mac OS X 10.4 and later.
Please state which version of OS X you are using, the exact three-section version of Audacity from Audacity > About Audacity and whether you obtained the .dmg installer or the zip.

Audacity 1.2.x and 1.3.x are obsolete and no longer supported. If you still have those versions, please upgrade at https://www.audacityteam.org/download/.
The old forums for those versions are now closed, but you can still read the archives of the 1.2.x and 1.3.x forums.

Re: No ability to control record level.

Permanent link to this post Posted by yellowtriumph » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:28 am

yellowtriumph wrote:
billw58 wrote:
yellowtriumph wrote:There is no control of the level from the headphone socket either - but do you think it will be lower than the levels from the line-level phono outputs?

That's too bad. A picture of the machine seems to show a level control above the headphone socket. No, I doubt that the headphone output is lower than the line output.

The specs I've found on the web for this machine say it has a DIN output of 0.4V. That might be worth a try. The spec for the line output says 1.23V which is quite high.

A DIN to RCA cable might be difficult to find these days. Are you confident opening up the machine and soldering an RCA cable to the DIN connector?

Another option is to find a pre-amp and use that to control the level into the Behringer.

As I said before, using the Windows laptop is unlikely to help, but there's no downside to trying.

-- Bill

Many thanks Bill, sorry for the delay in replying. I probably do have a DIN>phono lead somewhere amongst myself stash of old leads. So I will give it a go sometime - busy with other things at the moment.

PS, the control above the headphone socket is the mains on/off push button switch.

Hi Bill, just to update you. I did try the DIN > Phono lead and as you rightly suspected the level was lower and the distortion in the complete chain was pretty much reduced to zero - by ear anyway. However, if anything the level is a little bit too low so I am going to go down the route of a small amplifier. Thanks for all your assistance with this. Regards, Yellowtriumph.
yellowtriumph

Operating System: OS X 10.11 El Capitan or later (macOS)

Re: No ability to control record level.

Permanent link to this post Posted by billw58 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:49 pm

yellowtriumph wrote:Hi Bill, just to update you. I did try the DIN > Phono lead and as you rightly suspected the level was lower and the distortion in the complete chain was pretty much reduced to zero - by ear anyway. However, if anything the level is a little bit too low so I am going to go down the route of a small amplifier. Thanks for all your assistance with this. Regards, Yellowtriumph.

Thanks for the update.
I'd do a test recording, use Effect > Amplify to bring the levels up to normal then listen to the result. I suspect that the hiss level coming off the tape will be higher than the noise level inherent in the digital recording. That would save you purchasing an amplifier.
-- Bill
billw58
Forum Staff

Operating System: OS X 10.11 El Capitan or later (macOS)

Re: Recording Volume Control

Permanent link to this post Posted by Lloyd » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:16 am

Hi All:

My question is, How does one control the recording volume as represented by the WaveForm (WF)? I am using Aud 2.1.3 on a Windows 10 System in a New HP Laptop and a professional Samson Mic specifically to create recorded verbal radio programs (reading of news, single voice reading) the completed file of which is then uploaded to our Broadcaster in Phoenix (Sun Sounds of Arizona) as MP3 files for air. I have been doing this for three years and am still baffled by the answers to this question. So I'm trying again using different words.

I would think that the setting on the Recording Volume Slide Window is indicative of the volume that is represented in the W/F just as if it were a radio volume knob on a 1920 Emerson 200-pound radio. Further, in one of your previous messages, it was suggested (I don't know by whom) that running at 100% volume results in muffled or estranged results. Other have suggested to always record at 100%. Nevertheless, I have to use almost 100% to get normal volume showing on the W/F and on the actual sound of the recording. Turning the volume needle down only a few percentage points (like around 97% or 95% reduces my volume and the height of the W/F too much, almost to a whisper. I have also tried using the Effect -> Amplify function but it seems to screw up a number of other things, especially in the consistency of the various recordings and sections of same; thus, I am reluctant to use the Effect -> Amplify function for any kind of consistent volume control. There was a time when I could get the W/F peaking right up to the edges of the limiting bars with occasional clipping taking place. Now, I'm lucky to get a W/F that is, on average, covering half of the bar (although the end results in the MP3 conversion appears to be acceptable. Can you make any sense out of all this?
Lloyd

Operating System: Please select

Re: Recording Volume Control

Permanent link to this post Posted by cyrano » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:22 am

Lloyd wrote:My question is, How does one control the recording volume...

In the analog part of the mic preamp. If the preamp of the Samson (I suppose it's a USB mic?) doesn't have a gain control, you're done. It will always be too loud, or not loud enough.
cyrano

Operating System: OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Previous

Return to Mac OS X