Success compiling Audacity with VS2010

Building and customizing Audacity from the source code.

If you require help using Audacity, please post on the forum board relevant to your operating system:
Windows
Mac OS X
GNU/Linux and Unix-like

Re: Success compiling Audacity with VS2010

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:05 am

bullyellis wrote:I have posted it on stackoverflow.com

I see that you have now discovered that Audacity does not officially support VS2010.

For the benefit of other readers finding this thread:
It is strongly recommended that you use VS2008. The (free) VS2008 Express version is just fine for building Audacity. The core developers have no intention of moving to MSVC 2010, due (a) to the 'This is for evaluation purposes only' MSVC 2010 Express splash screen and (b) bugs in MSVC 2010 Express that are not present in MSVC 2008 Express.
http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Devel ... _64-bit.3F
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Senior Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by SpringDeep » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:08 am

Edgar, a couple of things:

1. In your second post, you present an "old" and "new" version of three files, ny.props, ny.targets and ny.rules, but I can't discern any difference between the old ones and the new ones. I may be blind, but, for all three files, the old and new appear to be exactly the same. It may be a copy-paste error on your part. And, unfortunately, you don't talk about it is you modified.

2. I believe the reason why the post-build scripts don't work is because variables should be expanded using the $(MY_VARIABLE) pattern instead of the %MY_VARIABLE% pattern. Did you ever give that a try?

3. I also have the same issue as bullyellis (i.e. Cannot evaluate the item metadata "%(Extension)".) I surmise that's actually caused by problem 1.

4. Thanks for you effort. I followed your instructions (though perhaps not in the right order, and not to the letter because I did experiments to try to understand the nature of the errors) and I'm stuck at 3. because I'm not clear about the meaning of that error nor how to fix it.

And, yes, I realize I'm posting in a year old thread but I feel that it's worth it add this post.
SpringDeep

Permanent link to this post Posted by Edgar » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:43 pm

SpringDeep wrote:And, yes, I realize I'm posting in a year old thread but I feel that it's worth it add this post.

Hi! Sorry for the delay in replying but I've been out-of-town for a month with no good access. Getting it to work back then was a time consuming nightmare and I am not about to devote any additional time given the Developers lack of interest. I am still using MSVS 2010 to compile my personal version and 2008 to compile the official version or any spin-offs I need.
Edgar
Forum Crew

Permanent link to this post Posted by Edgar » Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:02 pm

SpringDeep wrote:1. In your second post, you present an "old" and "new" version of three files, ny.props, ny.targets and ny.rules, but I can't discern any difference between the old ones and the new ones. I may be blind, but, for all three files, the old and new appear to be exactly the same. It may be a copy-paste error on your part. And, unfortunately, you don't talk about it is you modified.

I'm back home now and can look at my source code…
ny.props and ny.targets are brand-new files that do not exist in the 2008 version.

The current ny.rules is exactly the same as mine but if you go back and pull an older revision of the source (e.g. revision r11361) you will find that it differs at line 12…
old:
Code: Select all
FileExtensions="*.ny;*.lsp;*.raw"

new:
Code: Select all
FileExtensions="*.ny;"

At this time I am not certain that removing those two file extensions was "required" but suspect it was otherwise I would never have noticed it.
Edgar
Forum Crew

Previous

Return to Compiling Audacity