Joining files with batch processing

This section is now closed.

This forum is now closed.

For help with current Audacity, please post to the 2.x board for your operating system.

Please post feedback about the current 2.x version on the 2.x feedback board.

Joining files with batch processing

Permanent link to this post Posted by goldenband » Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:17 am

Is there any way to automatically join a bunch of audio files, seamlessly, into a single audio file?

That is to say:

Given a folder full of individual files -- Track01.wav, Track02.wav, and so on -- is there a batch process in Audacity that can combine them all into a single continuous file, by appending each successive file to the end of the previous one?

Right now I'm doing this via Select All, Cut, and Paste, but it's slow and time-consuming, and I assume there must be a better way.
goldenband

Re: Joining files with batch processing

Permanent link to this post Posted by hawk1996 » Fri Sep 28, 2007 4:05 pm

was there ever any answer to this one? I would also like to join multiple tracks to a single track without having to cut and paste each one?
hawk1996

Permanent link to this post Posted by alatham » Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:04 pm

I don't think Audacity can do this in an automated fashion. I wouldn't be surprised if there were a freeware app out there that could though.
alatham
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by richardash1981 » Sat Nov 03, 2007 3:52 pm

It's probably called SOX.
richardash1981

Permanent link to this post Posted by Crischile » Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:12 am

Hi:

I am a bit confused. How can you do it? I ended up with many winamp files after recording directly with audacity from an internet radio feed. I think I saved it wrong. I can find a _data directory but not one ending in _aup.

What can I do?

I read somewhere that I an select a quick miux them all, or use a SOX progarm, or what?
Crischile

Permanent link to this post Posted by alatham » Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:32 pm

CrisChile,

You've got a completely unrelated problem.

You've saved an Audacity project without knowing what that entails (this is common, read about it here). Use Audacity to open that project and use the File -> Export function to make a wav or mp3 (or ogg or aiff) file.

If you don't want to edit the project, you can delete the Audacity project by deleting the PROJECT_NAME.aup file and the PROJECT_NAME_data folder.
alatham
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by goldenband » Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:48 am

richardash1981 wrote:It's probably called SOX.

It doesn't immediately appear to me that SOX can do this (though I'm happy to be corrected if I'm wrong).

Are there any other apps that people know of that can do this (especially for Mac OS X)?

Obviously I'd love to be able to do this in Audacity, but...
goldenband

Permanent link to this post Posted by goldenband » Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:09 pm

For what it's worth, I think the application Max* can do this, though I haven't tried it yet, via a preference to "Join input files after conversion" (or something similar).

*(Not the same as the program Max/MSP!)
goldenband

Permanent link to this post Posted by stevelundberg » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:46 am

Years after this thread gew cold, I had the same need on a PC -- to join audio files together one after another, forming a single larger file. I followed-up on the SoX utility (though I'd also prefer Audacity) and thought other readers should know that I find these statements in the current SoX features list (Last modified: April 13, 2010):

Multiple audio files can be combined (and then further processed with effects) using any one of the following combiner methods:

•concatenate
•mix
•merge: E.g. two mono files to one stereo file
•sequence: For playing multiple audio files/streams
stevelundberg

Permanent link to this post Posted by solanus » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:00 am

Have you tried using Import>Audio? That allows you to select multiple files, which will then open in separate tracks. Then you can use the Time Shift Tool to drag the tracks in whatever order you need, then Export to a single file.
solanus

Next

Return to General Feedback and Discussion