Quick an efficient way to record LP's

This section is now closed.

Audacity 1.3.x is now obsolete. Please use the current Audacity 2.0.x package for your distribution or compile Audacity from the source code.

Re: Quick an efficient way to record LP's

Permanent link to this post Posted by rmcellig » Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:10 pm

waxcylinder wrote:
What in particular in the tutorial made you think that 32-bit was necessary? I may need to tweak the tutorial so others don't get misguided.

But glad you like the tutorial.

WC

It was this part:

Raw master backup

Export a single WAV for this side of the LP at 32-bit float (not 16-bit). Retain this WAV file as a maximum quality "raw-capture" file that you can import back in to Audacity later for any future re-editing (or to start over with editing if you damage the project while working on it).

Randy
rmcellig

Permanent link to this post Posted by rmcellig » Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:25 pm

This is my current workflow in Audacity for my LP's

1. Record entire LP and save in WAV format with labels for each track
2. Open up the wave file and do a Multiple Selection export in WAV format
3. Open up the individual files and export as MP3.
4, When I do that, I find I have to manually put in the album title and year for each track instead of it already being there. See attached. How can I fix this so I don't have to manually enter some of the tag entries for each track?
Attachments
tags.png
tags.png (29.61 KiB) Viewed 918 times
rmcellig

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:32 pm

Before you start exporting, open up the MetaData Editor (File menu) and enter the data that is common to all tracks.
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Senior Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by rmcellig » Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:40 pm

Thanks so much!!
rmcellig

Permanent link to this post Posted by bgravato » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:06 pm

rmcellig wrote:This is my current workflow in Audacity for my LP's

1. Record entire LP and save in WAV format with labels for each track
2. Open up the wave file and do a Multiple Selection export in WAV format
3. Open up the individual files and export as MP3.

Why opening every file again in steps 2 and 3?

After step 1 you already have the audio in audacity, so no need to reload it from the wav file.
Same goes for step 2. After you export multiple to wav, you can then export multiple again, but this time to mp3. If you check the "show metadata dialog prior to export" in Preferences -> Import/Export. You'll get one metadata dialog for each track/label at the beginning of the export multiple procedure...

So my suggested workflow would be:

1. Record entire LP to Audacity
2. Export as WAV before anything
3. Set the labels (and export the labels)
4. Open metadata editor from File menu and set Artist, Album, Year, etc...
5. Export multiple to WAV
6. Export multiple to MP3 (you'll get one metadata dialog for each track, the track name should be filled in with the label name, but you can fix it here if necessary)

If you don't want to burn a cd from it and you only want the WAV's for backup purposes, then you might skip step 5, and just keep the full length wav you saved in step 2 and the labels text file you saved in 3, along with the final exported MP3's (step 6).
Include as much details as you can in your post (Audacity version, Operating System, Equipment used, etc).
Please post your question in the appropriate forum (regarding audacity version and operating system).
bgravato
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by rmcellig » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:26 pm

Thanks for the info, and that is what I am going to do, in fact I have one of my LP wav files opened and was just about to add the labels. Once I add the labels to the wav file, if I go to export the wav file back to wav format, the labels will not be saved when I re save the wav file? I have to re save the bales separately?

I have to tell you that while I am reading up on Audacity and getting help from the forum, I am really understanding and discovering what I can do with this program. Looks like I can do a whole lot of stuff. Pretty amazing!!
rmcellig

Permanent link to this post Posted by bgravato » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:43 pm

Labels are not saved in WAV files. But you can export them to a text file from the File menu -> Export Labels... (and later import them from File menu -> Import -> Labels)
Include as much details as you can in your post (Audacity version, Operating System, Equipment used, etc).
Please post your question in the appropriate forum (regarding audacity version and operating system).
bgravato
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by rmcellig » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:52 pm

I would guess that by exporting them as text files you have more control and flexibility over the labels? Is this why they are not saved along with the wav file?
rmcellig

Permanent link to this post Posted by bgravato » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:00 pm

No, it's because WAV files don't support metadata in them (or only very limited).
bgravato
Forum Staff

Previous

Return to GNU/Linux and Unix-like