no input displayed

This section is now closed.

Audacity 1.3.x is now obsolete. Please use the current Audacity 2.0.x version.

The final version of Audacity for Windows 98/ME is the legacy 2.0.0 version.

no input displayed

Permanent link to this post Posted by padyboy » Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:20 pm

I am attempting to transcribe vinyl albums to digital format.
I am using an Ion usb turntable. OS is win 7 with latest updates (automatic updates). Audacity v 1.3.13.

I cannot fint the Ion turntable displayed anywhere. I cannot understand the instructions due to lack of knowledge. I chose 'microphone (USB audio codec)' from the list. I cannot find any 'audio in-out tab' in 'preferences'.
Perhaps I am looking in the wrong place. It appears that I do not have the proper drivers installed. The Ion website provided no useful information regarding driver downloads. I attempted to use 'Driver Whiz' recommended by CNET, but the supposedly 'free' download actually cost $35.
:o
Any suggestions would be appreciated. I cannot seem to find the selections mentioned in the Audacity instructions.

I kinda long for the days of High Fidelity Analog Stereophonic Music, where everything was so much simpler. It was turntable >receiver>speakers and play records. :(

Again, any advice would be appreciated. Audacity was recommended by my brother, a professional music produced in Nashville, TN. It works fine for him.
Please help. ;)
padyboy

Re: no input displayed

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:40 pm

It was turntable >receiver>speakers and play records.

Yes, but if you ever tried to record that process, that was no walk in the park, either.

http://manual.audacityteam.org/man/Tuto ... iscs_to_CD

http://manual.audacityteam.org/man/Reco ... turntables

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by padyboy » Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:35 pm

Dear Koz,

I had 2 different open reel decks, 2 different cassette decks, and a Sony Betamax VCR with High Fidelity sound reproduction.
These were 3 head decks (except the VCR), so monitoring of recordings was simple.
Relative to this digital recording, analog was, in fact, a 'walk in the park'.

Now I have to determine how to display some kind of input level ('volume unit meters' in analog). This is the only way to determine if there is actually a recording in progress.

I have set parameters as suggested in manual, but I still require a display of the input level. I think it should be easier than this.
But I will try.
Thanx.
padyboy

Permanent link to this post Posted by padyboy » Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:54 pm

I have read all the Audacity manuals repeatedly. Admittedly I amy be an older geezer, but have not found a clear and successful answer on how to measure the USBTT input to Audacity. I have followed instructions and set all the recommended entries.
There is talk of 'wave forms', but I am looking for input level displays.
The meters to the upper right ( possibly similar to led VU meters on my old Marantz cassette deck) are blank indicating input level is 0.

Please advise what to do now.
Thank you.
padyboy

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:08 pm

padyboy wrote: I cannot find any 'audio in-out tab' in 'preferences'.
Perhaps I am looking in the wrong place.

The "Audio I/O" tab is only in Audacity 1.2.x and not in Audacity 1.3.x
As you are using Audacity 1.3.13 you must be looking in the wrong manual (which would explain why it is so confusing for you :? )

The current version of Audacity is 1.3.14 and this includes a few bug fixes, so it would be worth updating at some point. You can get it here: http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/

If you installed Audacity using the recommended installer (audacity-win-unicode-1.3.13.exe) then you will have the correct manual available in the Help menu.
There is also an on-line version that is almost the same (for Audacity 1.3.15 alpha) here: http://manual.audacityteam.org/index.ph ... =Main_Page

Ensure that the turntable is connected to the computer and powered up before you launch Audacity.
The ION turntable should not require any special drivers. Windows 7 should automatically recognise it as a generic USB audio device - just allow Windows a few moments to do so before you open Audacity.

You should then be able to select the ION turntable as the recording device by selecting the USB option as the Input Device in the Device Toolbar

The recording meter can be activated by clicking on it.
The recording meter is the one on the right with the red bars in this picture:

The recording meter will also activate automatically when you click on the Record button.

If you get stuck with any of this, please be as precise and descriptive as possible about where you get stuck. If all of the above is successful then let us know that too and we can direct you to some tutorials that will help you to get the best out of your set up.
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Senior Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by waxcylinder » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:06 am

And you will find the meters more usable if you resize the mters making them bigger, I have mine stretched acrose the whole Audacity window.

To do this you need to click and drag on the little vertical ruled bar at the left of the meters. 1.3.x will "remember" your previous settings in your Preferences file - so once tou have re-sized it, it will stay re-sized until you next change it.

See this page in the manual: http://manual.audacityteam.org/man/Meter_Toolbar

WC
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * FAQ * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Audacity Manual * * * * * Audacity Wiki * * * * *Donate * * * * *
waxcylinder
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by padyboy » Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:24 am

My ION USBTT disk has drivers for Mac OS10, Windows XP and 2000.

Perhaps my problem is that Windows 7 does not have the required drivers for this device; possibly that is why the device is not listed in Audacity inputs.
I have been unable to find driver updates so far. ION website has none.

Do you know if Windows 7 has the required drivers?
padyboy

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:52 am

Ion have always been vague about whether they supported Windows Vista and 7 or not, but they do, and whatever the version of Windows their devices should work once you plug-them into the computer.

Please try the steps 1 to 5 here http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/USB_t ... ing_system .

Gale
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

Return to Windows