Noise Removal Tests

Effects, Recipes, Interfacing with other software, etc.

If you require help using Audacity, or think you have found a "bug", please post on the forum board relevant to your operating system.
Windows
Mac OS X
GNU/Linux and Unix-like

Re: Noise Removal Tests

Permanent link to this post Posted by billw58 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:50 pm

Here's the real-world sample. From vinyl, complete with vinyl surface noise and hum.

GuitarPlusVinylNoise.flac
(687.8 KiB) Downloaded 135 times

-- Bill
billw58
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by bgravato » Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:40 pm

I remember that in that very long thread I started when I first joined this forum I posted a few samples of my tests with the T-Bone USB micplug that were noisy. I can also record a few more samples if you're interested.
Include as much details as you can in your post (Audacity version, Operating System, Equipment used, etc).
Please post your question in the appropriate forum (regarding audacity version and operating system).
bgravato
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:28 pm

I have started a wiki page here: http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Propo ... se_Removal

Marco Diego wrote: there are some sections that I think are needed:

I think I have covered most of those points, but I have done so following the standard wiki Proposal format.

I'll upload, or link to some suitable test samples shortly, but at present Flac files cannot be uploaded to the wiki.
If anyone has good real-world test samples, please post them here.
Test samples should be in Flac or WAV format, and should contain both "noise only" and "noise+signal".
Maximum file size should be 1 MB.
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Senior Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Wed May 25, 2011 9:11 pm

Maximum file size should be 1 MB.

I still don't think three seconds is enough for good analysis, particularly if you have to wait for a silent portion in the performance.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Wed May 25, 2011 11:37 pm

1 MB in FLAC format will allow about 10 seconds stereo 16 bit 44.1 kHz.
steve
Senior Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:08 pm

I've been testing the new "Noise Coring" effect by Jérôme M. Berger http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Propo ... se_Removal

Here's a sample of the effect.
The first sound is the original unprocessed sound. It is followed by a "cleaned" copy using the Noise Removal effect in Audacity 1.3.13, and finally a copy of the original that has been processed with the Noise Coring effect.
Attachments
guitar-test.flac
(671.56 KiB) Downloaded 100 times
steve
Senior Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by bgravato » Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:20 pm

On my ears it sounds better than audacity's noise removal :)
The sound is not so muffled, keeping some of the brightness of the original recording.
Include as much details as you can in your post (Audacity version, Operating System, Equipment used, etc).
Please post your question in the appropriate forum (regarding audacity version and operating system).
bgravato
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:03 pm

I agree, and another notable feature is that it does not have any of the metallic/bubbly artefacts that are common with Noise Removal.
The effect is specifically designed to deal with "hiss" type noise and I think that it's showing great potential.
steve
Senior Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:39 am

I'd score it 8-2 to coring. The first half second of the Noise Removal attempt sounds really clean to me (better than coring), but then it deteriorates like Steve describes and gets more muffled (borne out by Plot Spectrum, almost nothing above 6000 Hz in the Noise Removal sample after about half a second). But I get a pulsing artefact at 23 s with coring in the dying away that is more noticeable than in noise removal (it is more evident in speakers than headphones).

I'm a bit concerned with yet another effect to try and get your noise removed whereas most software only has one effect. How many controls does noise coring have? I never tried the patch.

Gale
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

Permanent link to this post Posted by billw58 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:57 am

What were the settings in the Audacity Noise Removal effect? That's some pretty extreme noise removal.

I still think Davies' DeNoise sounds better :) His maximum setting is 25 dB NR, after that the control just reads "maximum reduction". Even at that setting there is little if any dulling of the guitar sound.

-- Bill
billw58
Forum Staff

PreviousNext

Return to Audio Processing