New plug-in effect - PopMute

Archive of Nyquist Plug-ins.
Many of the plug-ins here will be available on the Audacity Wiki.

This Forum is an archive of old topics concerning Nyquist plug-ins.

Feedback and questions relating to topics may be posted, but please
DO NOT POST NEW TOPICS HERE.

New plug-ins may be posted on the New Plug-Ins board.
Other posts relating to Nyquist should be posted to the main Nyquist board.

The main repository for Audacity/Nyquist Plug-ins is on the Audacity Wiki.

Re: New plug-in effect - PopMute

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:38 pm

DickN wrote:I infer from your question that you suspect a display rendering artifact.

Yes I think it may have been.
I agree that it can look quite odd, and while I understand that running the Nyquist effect will cause a redraw I don't know why the redraw should be any different from one time to another. In the situation when I first noticed it, I checked to see if there was any change in the data outside of the selected region. There wasn't.

DickN wrote:Why does the forum s/w reject pdf's?

Believe it or not, I think you're the first person to ask about PDF upload :D

For uploading pictures I'd recommend either PNG or JPG format. Most screenshot tools support one (or both) of these file types and all of the main web browsers support them so that they can be inserted as images. A PDF file would not display and would have to be downloaded by the user to view it with their PDF viewer (which may or may not be integrated into their web browser).

GIF images are good for diagrams, or pictures that have very few different colours. Gif is also supported natively by most web browsers.
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Senior Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:52 pm

Pop Mute is now available on the Audacity wiki: http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Nyqui ... s#Pop_Mute
steve
Senior Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by graefen » Thu May 23, 2013 3:22 pm

I'm trying to install PopMute (OS X 10.7.5) by saving popmute.ny in Audacity/plug-ins, but it's not showing up in any of the effect/generate/analyze menus in Audacity. Since it was saved from the internet, the popmute.ny file has a type of 'executable,' so I even tried re-saving it without the 'executable' type, but to no effect. What am I missing?
graefen

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Thu May 23, 2013 5:06 pm

Nyquist plug-in effect appear "below the line" in the Effect menu.
You should have "Adjustable Fade", "Cross Fade In", Cross Fade Out", "Pop Mute" and several others there.
If you see none of those, then you probably have not installed Audacity correctly.
If that is the case, remove your current installation, and follow the installation instructions here: http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/mac
steve
Senior Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by graefen » Thu May 23, 2013 5:09 pm

graefen wrote:I'm trying to install PopMute (OS X 10.7.5) by saving popmute.ny in Audacity/plug-ins, but it's not showing up in any of the effect/generate/analyze menus in Audacity. Since it was saved from the internet, the popmute.ny file has a type of 'executable,' so I even tried re-saving it without the 'executable' type, but to no effect. What am I missing?

I upgraded my Audacity, and PopMute showed up, so nevermind!
graefen

Permanent link to this post Posted by DickN » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:01 am

steve wrote:I'm not sure if the "link stereo channels" setting in v.01 is worthwhile as I'd imagine that in most cases it would be preferable to process channels independently.
Comments welcome.
[Update: decided that linking stereo channels was not useful, so removed in final version]
I've been working mostly with mono tracks, but today I finally used Pop Mute on a stereo track. I was getting a lot of electrical impulse noise in one mic channel, which was panned right about 75%. The impulses were therefore in both channels, but if I set the threshold low enough to catch the impulse in the left channel it was catching a lot of other things too. I wound up using an old version of Pop Mute which had the "Link Stereo Channels" feature commented out but with instructions for restoring it. It's an old version with some issues that hadn't been fixed yet, but I needed the "Linked Channels" feature. Any chance of resurrecting the option?
DickN

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:14 am

How about if I put it back in, but comment out the control?
steve
Senior Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:24 am

steve wrote:How about if I put it back in, but comment out the control?

Why not put it back? There are only five controls at the moment. There is a lot of text on its description page on Wiki so there is no guarantee people would see how to enable it.

Gale
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

Permanent link to this post Posted by DickN » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:01 pm

Wow! You folks are fast! My post is stamped 6:24 am; Your reply is stamped 6:14 am; Gale's is stamped 4:01 am.
[This is my flashback, all I have to do to return us to the present is fade my voice out like this and cue the organist. - Firesign Theater]

Either way works great for me, I can read the instructions. IMHO, you almost can't have too many controls as long as the least frequently used ones default to the most frequently needed settings.

For future consideration, not for this effect because it's not that complicated: Old TV's had a door behind which resided the "secondary" controls (Some TVs had them in the back). Some GUI's have a similar thing called "Advanced (whatever)". I don't know whether the Nyquist resources support anything like that, but when there's a lot of discussion about what controls to omit because they make the panel look too intimidating, it might be worth bringing up the idea of a "secondary controls" box.
DickN

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:07 pm

DickN wrote: I don't know whether the Nyquist resources support anything like that,

Not at present, but it's a feature that I would very much like ;)

Sorry I've not got time to look at the plug-in right now but I'll take a look next week.
steve
Senior Forum Staff

PreviousNext

Return to Plug-in Archive