Cut, copy, save etc. not available

This section is now closed.

Audacity 1.2.x is now obsolete. Please use the current Audacity 2.0.x version.

Cut, copy, save etc. not available

Permanent link to this post Posted by TucsonTom » Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:41 pm

I just started using audacity a couple days ago. It worked well all day yesterday. Today I am unable to consistently use such features as cut, copy, save project, save project as, etc. because they are unavailable on the menu.
audacity 2.jpg
Screen shot of unavailable menu choices
audacity 2.jpg (13.59 KiB) Viewed 12301 times

The keyboard shortcuts for these don't work either. I am running audacity in Windows XP under Parallels on a Mac Pro. As I said, this setup worked fine yesterday. I've tried rebooting the system, but it didn't help. What happened?
TucsonTom

Re: Cut, copy, save etc. not available

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:20 pm

Many of the operations, such as "copy", "cut", and the effects, require that you have some audio selected. If you do not have any audio selected these options will be greyed out.

To select a complete track, click on the box on the left hand side of the track.
To select part of a track, left click at the start point, hold the left mouse button down and drag across the track.
To select all, use Ctrl+A
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Senior Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by TucsonTom » Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:54 pm

stevethefiddle wrote:Many of the operations, such as "copy", "cut", and the effects, require that you have some audio selected. If you do not have any audio selected these options will be greyed out.

To select a complete track, click on the box on the left hand side of the track.
To select part of a track, left click at the start point, hold the left mouse button down and drag across the track.
To select all, use Ctrl+A

I had a piece of audio selected. Also, this wouldn't explain why the save project and save project as selections were not available either.
FYI, I seem to have Audacity working at the moment. This happened when I exited Windows XP, shut down Parallels, and changed Parallels so it used the same device for both input and output. This is the configuration I was using yesterday, but I changed it this morning to use my headset for input and my speakers for output. I don't know if Audacity will continue working, but it's nice while it lasts!
Attachments
audacity 1.jpg
audacity 1.jpg (11.82 KiB) Viewed 12283 times
TucsonTom

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:13 am

Now you know why Apple insisted on Boot Camp for a while. I bet this doesn't happen when you have either operating system running by itself. Audacity doesn't like "magic" or shared devices and services.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by TucsonTom » Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:21 am

Audacity is doing okay with it, as long as I don't push it too hard. I'm willing to use the default I/O devices and that seems to work fine. The magic is cool when it works.
TucsonTom

Permanent link to this post Posted by peninates » Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:53 am

Hi,

I'm having this same problem on a mac. Once I have selected a piece of audio, I do not have the option to cut in the edit menu (or save the project).

Can you describe what I can do that would be the Mac equivalent to changing the input/output in Parallels in Windows?

Thanks!
peninates

Permanent link to this post Posted by billw58 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:12 pm

ARe you sure you are in STOP mode rather than PAUSE mode?

-- Bill
billw58
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by Rogerpops » Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:58 am

Make sure the buttons are "live". While saving or exporting a file, Audacity will not let you do anything else , but it also doesn't tell you it is busy. Hover the mouse over a menu item (eg "file"). When the button becomes highlighted, then Audacity is again available, and editting should now work
Rogerpops

Return to General Feedback and Discussion