Audacity 2.1.2: comportements gênants et bizarres.

Bonjour,
J’ai téléchargé Audacity 2.1.2 il y a quelques semaines, j’ai lu sur le forum anglophone qu’il y avait certains problèmes sans comprendre tout à fait les tenants et aboutissants vu mon anglais. Voici mes observations:

Très gênant: impossible de faire une sélection vers la droite avec (souris clic gauche - maintenir) pour prolonger la sélection au-delà de la fenêtre (la même opération vers la gauche marche sans problème mais c’est rare de l’utiliser). Ce problème est évoqué dans le forum anglophone, mais je n’ai pas vu comment on pouvait le résoudre….

Gênant: à l’édition des métadonnées la touche suppression (backspace) supprime la première lettre du paragraphe visé au lieu de le surligner.

Bizarre: aléatoirement ouverture réduite de la fenêtre Audacity au lancement du programme.
Capture d’écran audacity et importation.jpg
Mon équipement: iMac OS X 9.5, magic mouse, clavier français Mac

Merci de me lire et pour votre suggestion.
tobele

(Google traduction)
Audacity 2.1.2: weird or annoying behavior.
Hello,
I downloaded Audacity 2.1.2 a few weeks ago, I read on the English forum there were some problems but I don’t fully understand the ins and outs with my bad English. Here are my observations:

Very annoying: Unable to make a selection to the right with (mouse left click - hold) to extend beyond the window (the same operation left running with no problem but it is rare to use it). This problem is mentioned in the English forum, but I did not see how we could solve it …

Annoying: for editing metadata deletion key (backspace) deletes the first letter of the paragraph referred instead to highlight it.

Bizarre: randomly reduced opening of the Audacity window when launching the program. (See joined image).

Thanks for reading me and for your suggestion.

There is no solution until the bug is fixed, only workarounds like using the horizontal scrollbar.

On my USB keyboard on El Capitan, BACKSPACE in 2.1.2 deletes the letter to left of the cursor, as in 2.1.1. If you want to delete more than one letter, select those letters then delete. COMMAND + Delete deletes the entire line. Perhaps this article will help you: Deleting text on Mac.

Try quitting Audacity. Open Finder, Go > Go to Folder then type:

~/Library/Application Support/audacity/

In that audacity folder, delete the file “audacity.cfg”.

Gale

Merci pour votre réponse,

Delete “audacity .cgf”: c’est ce que j’ai fait la première fois que Audacity 2.1.2 s’est ouvert avec cette petite fenêtre (waouw, ça efface toutes les configurations de fenêtre d’ Audacity 2.1.1 et précédents). Mais le problème persiste: occasionnellement Audacity 2.1.2 s’ouvre avec cette petite fenêtre alors que je l’ai quitté avec une fenêtre normale. Audacity 2.1.1 et précédents s’ouvrent sans cette facétie.

Edition de métadonnées: merci pour le lien. J’en conclus que cette fonction de la touche backspace, qui surligne le texte du champs visé dans Audacity 2.1.1 et précédents (comme un double clic de souris), si pratique jusqu’à présent, est en fait une erreur, une sorte de bug positif, dans Audacity 2.1.1 et précédents. Mais ça fonctionne bien, c’est simple, rapide et fluide.
Quel peut être le raccourci clavier qui remplit cette fonction dans Audacity 2.1.2, sans passer par le double clic de la souris?
Cordialement,
tobele

(Google traduction)
Thank you for your reply,

Delete “audacity .cgf”: that’s what I did the first time Audacity 2.1.2 opened with this small window (wow, it clears all window configurations of Audacity 2.1.1 and previous). But the problem remains: occasionally Audacity 2.1.2 opens with this small window while I closed it with a normal window. Audacity 2.1.1 and earlier open without this joke.

Edit metadata: thank you for the link. I conclude that this function of the backspace key, which highlights the text of the paragraph referred in Audacity 2.1.1 and earlier (as a double mouse click), so practice up to now, is actually an error, a kind of positive bug, in Audacity 2.1.1 and earlier. But it works well, it is simple, fast and fluid.
What can be the keyboard shortcut that performs this function in Audacity 2.1.2, bypassing the double click of the mouse?

Regards,
tobele
Auda 212 Capture d’écran 2016-02-24 à 17.41.50.jpg
Auda 211 Capture d’écran 2016-02-24 à 17.42.59.jpg

No-one else has reported that, so we don’t know what to recommend about it.

What resolution is your screen? Is it an external monitor, or the built-in monitor of a portable Mac?

Have you installed a third-party app that manages the Mac’s windows?

You could perhaps try to observe exactly how the Audacity window is when you quit Audacity and the window opens small next time. For example, do you click the green window button to make the Audacity window as large as possible before the problem happens next time?

Are you using TAB or ARROW keys to enter the cell, and that is why you don’t double-click to select all the text of the cell?

If so, I agree that in 2.1.1, BACKSPACE after you had used TAB or ARROW keys to enter the cell would select all the text. It did that on Windows too. In 2.1.2 on Windows, BACKSPACE after TAB or ARROW will delete one character at a time from the end of the line, as it should. On Mac, in that case after TAB or ARROW, it behaves unexpectedly and deletes the first character, then as expected does nothing because the cursor is at the start of the text.

After TAB or ARROW into the field you can in 2.1.1 or 2.1.2 use F2 to select all the text, as long as F2 is not being used as a system shortcut. If it is used as a system shortcut you can change that in the Mac System Preferences.

If your keyboard uses special keys in the top row which include icons for volume, display brightness and other functions, you will need to hold Fn (function) and F2 to select all the text in the metadata tags cell.

Gale

Simplement un petit test:

Essaye une fois d’ effacer le fichier “com.apple.windowserver.plist”.

Pour accéder a l’ endroit ou se trouve le fichier, il suffit d’ utliliser la fonction “Go to” sous le menu “Go” du Finder. Il suffit de copier et de coller le chemin:

/Library/Preferences/

et le fenêtre s’ouvre automatiquement. Après il faut redémarrer votre Mac.

Il y a un petit bug dans le WindowServer d’ OSX. Je le croyais limité au Mac Pro, mais c’est possible qu’il se montre aussi sur d’autres systèmes. Et ce n’est toujours pas résolu sous El Capitan, parce que c’est un bug rare.

cyrano,
J’ai suivi votre idée et fait “le petit test”, (le fichier com.apple.windowserver.plist se trouve en fait dans (Macintosh HD>Bibliothèque>Préférences) et non dans (Utilisateur>Bibliothèque>Préférences). Après redémarrage les fenêtres de Mail, Safari, iTunes, GIMP, s’ouvrent normalement, plus rapidement peut-être qu’avant. Les fenêtres de Audacity 2.1.1 et 2.1.2 s’ouvrent dans l’état où je les ai quittés. Donc pour l’instant c’est tout bon. Entre parenthèse: le Mac ne réécrit pas un nouveau fichier com.apple.windowserver.plist. Peut-être qu’il s’en fiche comme de son premier OS……

Gale,
Yes, it’s easier and faster to have both hands on the keyboard to edit the metadata.
The Fn + F2 key combination works well for both, 2.1.2 and 2.1.1, to select the entire text in the cell, without changing the keyboard preferences.

Regarding the 2.1.2 bizarre window, I followed the advice of cyrano. For now the 2.1.2 window opens normally. Wait and see …

Merci à tous deux pour vos bons conseils,
Regards,
tobele

C’ était un test…

C’est marrant qu’ Audacity ne suit pas le protocole standard. Et en plus le fichier “com.apple.windowserver.plist” n’est pas recrée automatiquement. OSX devient de plus en plus opaque, je crains.

Les voies des seigneurs (saigneurs?!) sont impénétrables.

Que faire de ce fichier “com.apple.windowserver.plist”? Le remettre à sa place? Il y en avait un autre, similaire: “com.apple.windowserver.plist~orig”, mais vide (0 octet).

J’en profite pour vous poser une autre question qui n’a peut-être pas sa place dans ce topic: peut-on passer sans crainte à OS X 10.11 El Capitan? Quand j’ai fait le saut de 10.6.8 Snow Leopard à Mavericks j’ai dû rajouter de la RAM et certains logiciels n’étaient plus supportés (Périan - iTunes lisait les fichiers .flac).

cordialement,
tobele

Je ne peut offrir qu’une opinion personnelle.

Je suis resté sur Mavericks. Trop de problèmes audio en El Capitan pour mon goût.

Dans ce qui concerne le fichier, il suffit de le garder en “backup” quelque part, si jamais il y aurait un problème dans le futur.

Le fichier “com.apple.windowserver.plist” est utilisé par Quartz Extreme. En principe QE a été remplacé par Core Graphics. Une copie de ce fichier se trouve normalement aussi ici:

~/Library/Preferences/ByHost/

Le nom de ce fichier sera “com.apple.windowserverXXXXX.plist”.

Le fichier “com.apple.windowserver.plist~orig” est en fait un fichier executable (exec) utilisé par le terminal. Il est apparu tel avec son petit carré noir après la manipulation pour le placer dans le DDE. Je l’ai remis à sa place mais sans le fichier “com.apple.windowserver.plist”. A voir.

Pour El Cap j’attendrai. De toutes façons Apple va certainement sortir le prochain OS le plus fantastique du monde en octobre-novembre et ça sera reparti pour un tour.

@tobele. does the 2.1.2 window always open normally now you have deleted “/Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver.plist”?

Did OS X create a new copy of that file?

Gale

Gale,
The window of 2.1.2 opens normally without the “com.apple.windowserver.plist”? file. I put this file in an external hard drive, and replaced the “com.apple.windowserver.plist~orig”, which is a “fichier executif” (exec) -( executive file in english?) at his place in the Preferences. Nothing happened, OS X did not create a new “com.apple.windowserver.plist”.

hope I’m comprehensible,
tobele

So it seems to me that you don’t need that “orig” file in Preferences, and if you were to copy the “orig” file to your Desktop, then in Preferences, rename “com.apple.windowserver.plist~orig” to “com.apple.windowserver.plist” then the problem would return.

Gale

There is no real info and the system shows unexpected behaviour. The plist should be recreated after a restart, but it isn’t.

Info from these threads:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5939590?start=30&tstart=0
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3128603?start=0&tstart=0

cd /Preferences
sudo cp com.apple.windowserver.plist com.apple.windowserver.plist~orig
sudo rm -f com.apple.windowserver.plist

It is about screens, however. Nothing to do with program windows. But since nobody really knows…

In short: no problem with Apple displays, so not Apple’s problem.

One of the most annoying is the Mac pro, that doesn’t save screen positions with 2 non-Apple displays and goes simply back to default.

Messing with “com.apple.windowserver.plist” has fixed one of these for me. Others report fixing high CPU usage with it.

Probably just magic. :sunglasses: