scan des VST

Bonjour à tous.
Lorsqu’on installe un nouveau VST dans Audacity, il faut lancer un scan. Par défaut Audacity cherche les VST dans 2 dossiers: C:Program Files(x86)SteinbergVST Plugins et C:Program Files (x86)AudacityPlug-ins.
Ma question est la suivante et elle concerne les VST qui génèreraient des fichiers lorsqu’on les utilise. Cela crée un problème d’utilisation avec Windows car on a pas beaucoup de droit dans le disque (C:) (à moins d’utiliser le logiciel en mode Administrateur).
_ Est-il possible d’indiquer à Audacity de réaliser son scan dans le disque (D:) de son ordinateur?

Hello.
When we install a new VST in Audacity, it is necessary to launch a scan. By default Audacity looks for the VST in 2 files: C:Program Files ( x86 ) SteinbergVST Plugins and C:Program Files ( x86 ) AudacityPlug-ins.
My question is the following one and it concerns the VST which would generate files when we use them. It creates a problem of use with Windows because we have not many right in the disk (C:) (unless using the software in mode Administrator).
_ It is possible to indicate to Audacity to realize its scan in the disk (D:) of it computer?
Sorry for the english.

That is not quite correct if you use the latest Audacity 2.1.0 from Audacity ® | Download for Windows.

In 2.1.0, as long as you have not unchecked “Check for updated plugins when Audacity starts” in Effects Preferences, there is no need to set a rescan in those preferences. All you need to do is add the plugin to a supported location then restart Audacity. The new plugin will appear in the “Register Effects” dialogue before Audacity launches, and you just click OK in that dialogue to confirm installing the plugin.

There are more paths than that, please see the “supported location” link above.

Yes, create a VST_PATH environment variable for yourself, with the value D:. As far as I know, you don’t need to be logged in as administrator to create a user variable. You do need to be logged in as administrator to create a system variable.

If you need more help, please state exactly what version of Windows you have.

Gale

Bonjour.
Je remercie le modérateur pour sa réponse.
N’étant pas compétent en informatique, la procédure proposée me semble complexe à réaliser. Ne serait-il pas plus simple de placer dans le sous-dossier Plug-ins du dossier Audacity, un raccourci vers le disque (D:). Ensuite, placer les plug-ins qui posent des problèmes de fonctionnement dans Audacity lorsqu’ils sont installés dans (C:)Program Files, dans un dossier de (D:)?

I thank the moderator for its answer.
Not being competent in computing, the proposed procedure seems to me complex to realize. It would not be simpler to place in the sub-file “Plug-ins” in the file “Audacity”, a shortened towards the disk (D:). Then, place the plug-ins which raise problems of functioning in Audacity when they are placed in (C:) Program Files, in a file of (D:)?
I hope that you will understand this bad English.

Actually, How to Set the Path and Environment Variables in Windows gives good instructions. You only have to create the VST_PATH user variable once and give it a value of “D:” (without the quotes). Then Audacity will see each new plugin you put in D:.

Audacity won’t see plugins in D: if you place a shortcut to D: in the Audacity plugins folder. We can make a note of your request but I doubt a developer would implement it.

If you do not have full permissions then why not uninstall Audacity, obtain the ZIP version of Audacity 2.1.0 and place it in D:?

Gale

Bonjour.
J’ai donc essayé d’éditer au niveau de Variables système dans les Paramètres systèmes avancés. J’ai ajouté D:. Ensuite j’ai placé les plug-ins Novaflash qui posent des problèmes lorsqu’ils sont placés dans C Program Files (x86).
Le problème est que ces plug-ins n’apparaissent pas dans la catégorie effets de Audacity. Il y a donc un problème.
Ma question est la suivante: lorsqu’on modifie la variable système dans Windows Vista, faut-il à un moment cliquer sur “Appliquer”?
Cette commande est restée grise pendant l’édition. Est-ce normal?

I thus tried to edit at the level of Variables system in the Parameters advanced systems. I added D:. Then I placed the plug-ins Novaflash which raise problems when they are placed in C Program Files ( x86 ).
The problem is that this plug-ins does not appear in the category effects of Audacity. There is thus a problem.
My question is the following one: when we modify the variable system in Windows Vista, is it necessary at the moment to click “Appliquer”? This command remained grey during the edition. Is it normal?
Beforehand thank you for your answer.

What version of Audacity do you have? If you have 2.0.6 or earlier then you do have to choose the option in Effects Preferences to rescan effects and then restart Audacity.

Which Novaflash plugins exactly did you obtain from novaflash.com? Audacity does not support VST instruments, so the Novaflash instruments will not appear in Audacity’s Effect Menu.

There is no Apply button in the dialogues to edit environment variables, at least on Windows 7, only OK buttons. If you are not able to log in as administrator, then you can only edit variables for yourself, not the system variables.

When you have added the VST_PATH user variable with a value of D:, you may need to restart the computer for the change to take effect.

If you are not able to add a user variable, you must ask your computer administrator to help you.

I think the better solution is for you to place the zip version of Audacity in D: where you have full permissions.

Gale

Thank you.
At the origin of this problem, there is a fact that I try to use VST Novaflash in Audacity 2.1.0. A VST as ERSATZ for example. The problem is that under Windows Vista, Audacity bug and has to close as soon as we edit a file with this VST.
On the other hand, there is no problem to install it in Audacity.

Ersatz appears to work for me in Audacity 2.1.0 in Windows 7.

Do you have the “Ersatz” folder containing SEM files in the same folder where you have ersatz.dll? If not, correct that.

Otherwise, please tell us the exact steps you take 1,2,3… to make Ersatz crash Audacity. Does it crash when you change the settings while playing audio, or only when you apply the effect?

Use the “Manage” button in the Ersatz effect to export your Ersatz settings to an XML file, then attach the XML file. Please see here for how to attach files: https://forum.audacityteam.org/t/how-to-attach-files-to-forum-posts/24026/1

Also, use the Manage button, choose “Options…” then tell us what settings you have for Buffer, Latency and Graphical Mode.

Gale

Merci.
J’utilise le VST ERSATZ sous Windows Vista dans Audacity 2.1.0
_ Le fichier .dll du VST est bien installé dans le dossier des presets d’usine. Ce dossier est placé dans: Windows (C:)Program Files (x86)^AudacityPlug-insPlug-ins Novaflashersatz
_ Audacity crash à la fin de la lecture d’un fichier audio altéré par les effets de ce VST (ERSATZ Novaflash). Si j’arrête la lecture avant la fin du fichier audio, Audacity ne se bloque pas (et ne doit pas fermer).
_ le fichier .xml joint correspond aux réglages par défaut lorsqu’on utilise la première fois le VST. On observe, en outre, que le fichier .xml est corrompu.
_ Dans “Options”: Buffer=8192/ Latency (la case est cochée) / Graphical Mode (la case est également cochée).

Thank you.
I use the VST ersatz under Windows Vista in Audacity 2.1.0.
_ The file .dll of the VST is installed well in the file of the factory presets. This file is placed in: Windows (C:)Program Files(x86)AudacityPlug-insPlug-ins Novaflashersatz
_ Audacity crash at the end of the reading of an audio file distorted by the effects of this VST (ERSATZ NOVAFLASH). If I stop the reading before the end of the audio file, Audacity does not crash (and should not close).
_ The file .xml joined corresponds to the regulations by default when we use the first time the VST. We observe besides, that the file .xml is corrupted.
_ In “Options”: Buffer=8192/ Latency = the compartment is marked / Graphical Mode = the compartment is also marked

Sorry for the english.
preset test bug.xml (2.01 KB)

Thank you the detailed description. I can reproduce the crash as you describe, so we will look into it when time permits.

If I apply the effect, even to the complete track, I do not receive a crash.

Gale

Hello.
What do you think of this .xml file created by Audacity? It is corrupted.

I did look at it. The exported XML file is correct - if you change the effect settings then import the XML file, the settings change back to those exported.

The “chunk” section of the XML file does not need to be human readable.

Gale