[Résolu] Album art audio files

Résumé de la discussion :
Quand je travaille sur un fichier audio sur Audacity, le fichier exporté ensuite n’a plus l’image Tag/AlbumArt incrusté dans le fichier importé, parce qu’Audacity le supprime au passage. Une requête du coup a été faite par Gale pour améliorer ça.
La solution est donc :
1 - utiliser Mp3tag pour rajouter l’image après avoir travaillé sur Audacity, si on sait faire (j’ai toujours pas trouvé…), càd l’enlever avant du fichier que l’on s’apprête à importer dans Audacity et la rajouter après, ou la reprendre sur le net.
2 - travailler sur Mp3DirectCut au lieu d’Audacity s’il s’agit d’opérations simples qui ne demandent pas les fonctionnalités avancées d’Audacity telles que vouloir mettre les canaux droits et gauches au même niveau décibel, certains morceaux étant déséquilibrés déjà sur le net.

Explications annexes :
Audacity réencode le fichier pour l’exporter en Mp3, ce qui lui fait perdre de la qualité, le Mp3 n’étant pas un format de haute qualité comparé au Wav. , ACC et d’autres. Donc si on veut travailler sur Audacity, mieux vaut importer un fichier de qualité (Wav par ex.) et l’exporter en Mp3 (si c’est ce qu’on veut), de façon à ne perdre en qualité qu’une fois.
Mp3DirectCut, lui, ne réencode pas le son, il se contente de couper (par ex.) la partie qu’on lui dit de couper et restitut le fichier tel quel. Mais il possède bien moins de fonctions qu’Audacity…

Good morning,

As soon I intervene on a audio files download from Youtube (by ex.) - cut, ad a part… - , the icon (photo from the group or whatever) is replace by the icon from VLC, my player by default.
Please, how to conserve the primary icon ?
Thanks !

If you write your question in English , it is better to post in the Windows, Mac or GNU/Linux English boards: Audacity Help Forum - Audacity Forum, depending on what operating system you use.

Which icon are you talking about that is replaced?

Are you talking about “album art” images stored in the metadata of some file formats? If so, Audacity removes album art and lyrics in metadata, unfortunately. Please see:
Audacity Manual . Yes this might cause the VLC window to display the VLC icon or some image from its cache, instead of the removed album art.

Gale

Sorry, I have skipped this step… windows 7 system.

What I’m talking about, the Icon replaced : http://img95.xooimage.com/files/4/2/7/icon-439e4b6.png

Are you talking about “album art” images stored in the metadata of some file formats?

I don’t know the name… Is it ?

Is it the Beyonce icon that is wrong?

Where are you seeing these icons exactly? Show me an image of the entire computer screen that has these icons.

Also tell me what happens when you quit VLC, then double-click on Adele. What icon do you see in the VLC window?

Then quit VLC and click on DJ Master. What icon do you see in the VLC window then?

Gale

Not only Beyonce, all files accept some who stil have the image : http://img96.xooimage.com/files/e/a/a/icon-439e674.png
The problem seems to be only on the Windows window. Because when I open VLC, the image appear again even the file is whith the VLC Icon.
When I close VLC, this VLC Icon show the title of the file again on the Windows window.

Actually, the problem appear also when I work on a audio file with Handy Share (the program used with my Mp3 recorder Zoom Q3HD). By example, if I convert a Mp4 file from youtube to Mp3 file and then I work on it with handy share, the image download from youtube with the file is replaced by the VLC Icon.
Maybe the problem comes from Windows, but not from Audacity ?..

If you are using Windows Explorer in an “Icons” view to view these files, then if the file has an embedded image and you edit the file and overwrite it in Audacity, then yes, the exported file will not have the image.

Therefore, Windows Explorer will no longer show the image with an overlay of the VLC icon but will only show the VLC icon (or the icon for whatever is the default application for that file extension).

So you need to use an editor that does not remove the embedded image. Must you edit the files in Handy Share? How do you download now - as MP4 video files or audio files? What format do you want the files in - MP3 audio?

Gale

If you are using Windows Explorer in an “Icons” view to view these files

I’m sorry, I don’t understand what you mean. I just open the folder “Best of…” and observe that some files are with the VLC Icon and some with the primary image combined with the file downloaded. Because I’have work on it (as Mp3) with Audacity or Handy share.

How do you download now - as MP4 video files or audio files?

I download my files with Download helper in Firefox, convert this Mp4 file to Mp3 with Free vidéo to Mp3 converter to keep only the sound in Mp3 (if it’s a vidéo) and then cut sometimes a part (sometimes there is 1 mn or more of silence at the end…).
With Audacity or Handy share, same result, no image anymore.

So you need to use an editor that does not remove the embedded image.

Do you mean not Audacity nor handy share ?
I convert to Mp3 because it’s the only way to read the files in my car’s Mp3 player (cart SD)…

Thanks !

You have never said where you see the images you are complaining about, and I can’t see your computer, so I can only guess.

All I am saying is that if I edit an MP3 in Audacity that has an embedded image, then export it so that it’s overwritten, the icon in Windows Explorer changes from a photo icon with VLC bottom right (like your DJ MASTER) to just a VLC icon (like your Beyonce).

What is “Best of…”? In what program do you open that folder?

This Video DownloadHelper – Get this Extension for 🦊 Firefox (en-US) ?

Which free video to MP3 converter, exactly? Does the converted MP3 still have the image at that point, using that free converter?

Yes. If you still have the image before using Audacity or Handy Share, use a direct MP3 editor instead, like MP3DirectCut. See this link Missing features - Audacity Support .

A “direct MP3 editor” should not remove the embedded image, and it does not re-encode the MP3. MP3 encoding is always lossy, so this means that the MP3 edited with a direct MP3 editor does not lose quality when you cut a piece out at the end, whereas if you do that in Audacity, you will lose some of the quality.

Gale

Hello !

You have never said where you see the images you are complaining about

I’m just talking about the photo icon with VLC bottom right (like my DJ MASTER) that has been replaced by a VLC icon (like my Beyonce).

What is “Best of…”? In what program do you open that folder?

“Best of…” is the name I gave to the foder who contain the audio files.
I double clic on it to open it and Windows 7 open automaticly the folder. I don’t use a special program for this.

This > https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo > … oadhelper/ ?

Yes

Which free video to MP3 converter, exactly?

This : SoftBox - Adoucisseur d'eau économique

Does the converted MP3 still have the image at that point, using that free converter?

Yes

use a direct MP3 editor instead, like MP3DirectCut.

Ok thanks, I will try now.
Post edition 1 hour after : Same result concerning the image from the file downloaded is lost and become a VLC Icon => http://img98.xooimage.com/files/3/1/3/sans-titre-43a7dba.png
I’ve cut the first track (It was 3 songs with very small blank between ) - downloaded with Downloadhelper from Youtube (with the image) - in 3 parts.
I don’t see moreover any better quality with the work with Audacity ; the level of the new tracks are similar with MP3 DirectCut and Audacity. This means that the level of the file from Youtube must be low.

MP3 encoding is always lossy

That could be the explication… the level of the sound is lower compared to the other songs… because of this re-encoding !!!
Post edition… it is not the explication !

Thanks

In what program? Do you mean those icons are on your Desktop? Otherwise, some program is listing files and showing you those icons. Do you click My Computer in order to see those icons?

For your information, I tested editing an MP3 that had an embedded image in MP3DirectCut 2.16. The embedded image was retained after cutting then saving the file.

I am not talking about the level of the tracks explicitly, though the level may be lower if you re-encode the MP3. Any time you export over the same MP3 in Audacity, you lose quality. This is not up for argument, it’s a fact.

If you like, MP3 DirectCut does something equivalent to taking a document and tearing part of it away - it does not affect the quality of the remaining document.

What Audacity does is something like make a photocopy of the document with the part torn away. It’s a new document and it is not of the same quality as the original because the photocopy cannot make an exact copy in the same quality.

I have already explained the only Audacity problem that could be related to this. Please give the exact web address of a YouTube video that has this problem of “disappearing images”.

Gale

Do you mean those icons are on your Desktop?

This time it was on the Desktop. http://img98.xooimage.com/files/3/1/3/sans-titre-43a7dba.png
Last time it was in My computer, in : Libray/Documents/François/divers/best of
It’s the same, I don’t use a specific program in order to listing the containt of the library.

in MP3DirectCut 2.16.

I keeped the 2.02 version because it was easer to find a tuto.
Maybe the problem comes because I’ve cut in 3 parts ?

Please give the exact web address of a YouTube video

The one I’ve cut today in 3 parts/songs with MP3 DirectCut in : 3.47" / 4.37" / 4.11" (duration of each song)

Thanks for your explainations concerning the programs, interesting.

In MP3DirectCut 2.16 if open an MP3 containing an embedded image then mark cue points and save as three different MP3 files, each MP3 has the embedded image.

I don’t want to use your video to MP3 converter because when I try to decline the offers of sypware/crapware it quits or hangs without doing anything.

Can you post a link to an MP3 converted by that converter where you see the image of the video in Windows? Then I can examine the MP3.

Gale

Hello,

On the 2.19 version, it works well ( http://img98.xooimage.com/files/3/0/8/sans-titre-43acbeb.png ) if I select and register the track one by one, not the 3 at the same time as before. OK for this, I will use this program from now on.

it quits or hangs without doing anything

Strange, this version of the converter, wich is not clean (virus total) :VirusTotal , but after detailled scan from my system with Avira, no problem…
So I speack about this version of the converter : Extraire audio de vidéo
Sorry, I was nor precis enouth before…

Can you post a link to an MP3 converted by that converter where you see the image of the video in Windows?

If I use http://www.dvdvideosoft.com/fr/products/dvd/Free-Video-to-MP3-Converter.htm#.Uu4kdbSKzlw to convert an MP4 video (which shows an image in Windows) to an MP3, there is no image in the converted MP3 and then Windows shows no image. I looked in the converter options for some method to save an image in the file.

http://cjoint.com/?3BcmtWvpsFe does contain a standard embedded image and yes, Audacity removes the image when writing the MP3.

I’ll record a “vote” for you that Audacity should not discard album art (embedded images).

Gale

I’ll record a “vote” for you that Audacity should not discard album art (embedded images).

Yes, good. Indeed, on chanel was lower ( maybe 25%) on this track who contain 3 songs and it was not possible to correct this problem with MP3DirectCut. So I had to choose between this low chanel (if I work with MP3DirectCut) and a re-encoding who loose a little bit quality (Audacity) AND the embedded images.
But the problem of loose of quality (photocopie) will stay, even if Audacity keep the album art.

I don’t understand why you have problem with this converter. After I found the " Free Youtube to Mp3 converter " which do the job well, but you must take care during the installation process, because of all the shits they try to instal with. However the setup is cleen (virus total).

Thanks a lot for your help and all I’ve learn here !
Should I white the topic as finish ? How do you call it on this forum ? Resolved ?

You can make a volume change in MP3DirectCut but it has to affect both channels.

You can also “vote” for Audacity to directly edit MP3’s like MP3DirectCut. Let me know if you want to do this. But the restriction on only being able to make simple cut, paste and volume edits will be the same.

Also for any MP3’s where MP3DirectCut’s editing features are not sufficient, you could use MP3Tag to extract the image to your hard drive, edit the MP3 in Audacity, then use MP3Tag to add the extracted image back to the file. Removing and adding images does not rewrite the audio data so this does not degrade the audio quality.

Perhaps I downloaded a later version where they don’t want you to install it without crapware.

But it is a good feature to save a thumbnail (image) from the video file into the MP3. Not many converters do that.

If you see an Edit button for your first message in this topic you can add [RÉSOLU] to the end of the topic title.

And if you can add a summary in French in that first message, it would be very nice for users who cannot read English. :slight_smile:

Gale

You can also “vote” for Audacity to directly edit MP3’s like MP3DirectCut. > Let me know if you want to do this.

Yes, can you do it please ?

Removing and adding images does not rewrite the audio data so this does not degrade the audio quality.

Suddenly :smiley: :blush: :bulb: I understand the misunderstanding !!! From the beginning you speak about the album art (photocopie) and not from the sound (yes yes, I know… but why not, nowadays) ! That why you didn’t understand my remarque about the sound of the track I found lower after edition in Audacity (which is actually not the case, the sound is from the beginning (download) a little bit lower on this 3 parts comparing to the other tracks of my “Best of…” folder.
Until now, you just spoke about a lower quality of the album art, isn’t it ?!! This is not a problem for me ! :stuck_out_tongue:
Such a stupid gay I make !!! :laughing:

Perhaps I downloaded a later version where they don’t want you to install it without crapware.

No no, this time I speack from " Free Youtube to Mp3 converter ", which is not the same program than “Free Video to Mp3 converter”, both from DVDVideoSoft.com: #1 Applis de téléchargement et de conversion YouTube
This new one downloads the track AND converts in Mp3 in 1 time AND save the album image ! The only problem is during Installation, to take care.

I will add [RESOLU] and also whrite a summary at the beginning of the first post after your Answer.

Yes the vote will get added.

No, my analogy about the photocopy (what Audacity does by re-encoding the MP3) is about the audio. You will lose audio quality by editing the MP3 in Audacity and exporting as a new MP3. You will not lose any audio quality in MP3DirectCut, because it does not re-encode the MP3 (it just removes part of the original document, not make a photocopy).

When you encode an MP3 it removes some of the high frequency content that is hardest for humans to hear. This is how it saves space compared to WAV which is lossless. So the MP3 may be quieter as a result of the encoding, or occasionally it may be louder. Audacity doesn’t make any further corrections to the volume level of the encoding that the MP3 encoder decides on.

And so my comment still stands. If you want for example to add more bass to the audio, you must use Audacity (MP3DirectCut cannot add bass because this requires re-encoding). If you use Audacity you will lose the image, but if before editing in Audacity, you use MP3Tag to extract the image, then you can use MP3 tag to add the image back into the MP3 exported from Audacity. The point I was making is that adding and removing images from an MP3 in MP3Tag does not harm or change the audio.

Another consideration. If you want to edit the audio in Audacity and maintain the maximum audio quality, you should not import an MP3 into Audacity for editing. You have already lost quality in the first MP3 conversion in Free YouTube to MP3 Converter, so if you then export that MP3 from Audacity you have lost quality twice.

Instead, convert twice in Free YouTube to MP3 Converter, once to WAV (it does not include an image) and again to MP3 (includes the image).

Then import the WAV into Audacity and export to MP3. You now only lose quality once.

Using MP3Tag, extract the image from the MP3 converted by Free YouTube to your hard drive. Then using MP3Tag, add the image to the MP3 exported by Audacity.

Of course you may not hear the difference if you encode to MP3 twice (once in Free YouTube and again in Audacity), but then again, you might. If you want to import the MP3 into Audacity for editing, you should choose a high bit rate in Free YouTube to MP3.

OK I agree that Free YouTube to MP3 Converter from DVDVideoSoft.com: #1 Applis de téléchargement et de conversion YouTube saves an image of the video into the MP3. I also agree its options for adding other crapware are easily understood.

The problem is with the first softbox.fr link you gave for the “Free Video to MP3 converter”:
SoftBox - Adoucisseur d'eau économique. Unfortunately softbox make their own crapware installer (they don’t use the official dvdvideosoft installer). The softbox installer is the one that won’t install unless you agree to the crapware.

Gale

If I download with Free YouTube to MP3 Converter in Wav, I lose the image directly. Only in Mp3 (but first loss of quality) or in M4A wich is not Mp4. The track 12’ is 23Mo in M4A and 121Mo in Mp4 (not with Free YouTube to MP3 Converter) ! It can’t be the same quality !!!
Direct in Mp4 with Free YouTube to MP3 Converter is not possible, I think. Only through Dowloadhelper from Firefox or kiss…
Anyway I understand what you explain this time.

The problem is, I started at the right beginning on wrong bases ; namely I thought is was possible to import in Audacity ONLY in Mp3… !
Then now, I can edit a wav track in Audacity, work on it and then export it in Mp3 192Kbits, and that’s ok. And at last I put again the tag with MP3Tag.
I have still to try this last step.

The audio in the MP4 is likely of similar quality to the M4A. It’s the video in the MP4 that is adding to the file size.

You can use a program called MediaInfo to look at the stream size of video and audio and to verify the audio bit rate. See: MediaInfo - Download MediaInfo for Microsoft Windows . Get the version without installer - the installer has been reported to contain malware.

Gale