configuring the GUI

User-contributed artwork and graphics.

ImageUser-contributed graphics, logos, themes, buttons, icons and other artwork relating to Audacity.
Images and suggestions posted here are primarily for fun. Audacity currently has few options for customising the appearance, but users may still like to share their vision of Audacity in the future.
Please read the READ ME post for this board before posting here.

Re: configuring the GUI

Permanent link to this post Posted by Edgar » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:39 pm

and now the Preferences interface…
This is the current Interface page extended to allow some control of "Behaviors":
interface.png
interface.png (72.72 KiB) Viewed 2397 times

This is a new page which allows control over some of the colors:
interface colors.png
interface colors.png (62.68 KiB) Viewed 2397 times

Oh yeah, in case you're just joining my little interface party…
resized preferences.png
resized preferences.png (100.05 KiB) Viewed 2397 times

a long time ago I changed the Preferences dialogs so that they were resizable, their minimum size was useful and that their maximum size was 90% of the screen's size. This allows the built-in layout mechanism (ShuttleGUI) free reign in designing each dialogue. Unfortunately, I have yet to figure out how to add sliders to all of the layouts when required; I have it mostly working but it's still a bit ugly.
Edgar
Forum Crew

Operating System: Windows 7

Permanent link to this post Posted by Edgar » Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:53 am

In my never-ending quest to make things more legible…
aPic.png
aPic.png (257.39 KiB) Viewed 2374 times

I spent some time tearing apart the timeline; unfortunately, from a GUI standpoint, it shares a lot of code with a number of unrelated GUI items. Is called an "Adorned Ruler" and can be either horizontal (as the timeline) or vertical (as the Vertical Scale between the Track Info Panel and the Wavetrack); it is also used to draw the scales on the edges of graphs and meters.it has a default text font, text color, background color, selected background color, and tick color. Almost every GUI usage other than the timeline overrides these defaults to one extent or another. Here is a close-up example of its use labeling a graph:
zPic.png
zPic.png (85.75 KiB) Viewed 2374 times

A close inspection will reveal that the text color is now a dark blue instead of black. You can see this is used in the timeline, the vertical ruler, the labeling of the graph and also the meters in the toolbar.

Once again, I am not necessarily suggesting that the colors, fonts and sizes depicted herein are necessarily "good" or even "better than the default", they are used mainly here to make a visual distinction.
Edgar
Forum Crew

Permanent link to this post Posted by Edgar » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:56 am

This should be the last picture for this cycle:
side-bt-side.png
side-bt-side.png (899.52 KiB) Viewed 2307 times

this is a side-by-side view--mine to the left, current on the right. My final attention was to be Preferences dialog. Notice that it now has horizontal and vertical scrollbars (when needed). Also notice that the size and color of the font is user controlled. One item which may not be pictorially depicted – the Preferences dialog now remembers its size and location.

I am trying to determine how to affect the font in tips (when you hover the mouse over something). From what I can determine this is probably not adjustable.
Edgar
Forum Crew

Previous

Return to Audacity Artwork and Graphics