Request: Skin

User-contributed artwork and graphics.

ImageUser-contributed graphics, logos, themes, buttons, icons and other artwork relating to Audacity.
Images and suggestions posted here are primarily for fun. Audacity currently has few options for customising the appearance, but users may still like to share their vision of Audacity in the future.
Please read the READ ME post for this board before posting here.

Re: Request: Skin

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:17 am

What a shame. :(

Let's hope that it's only been taken out as a temporary measure while they get it working properly.
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Site Admin

Operating System: Linux *buntu

Permanent link to this post Posted by fractalorangejuice » Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:35 am

As a possible interface why not something like this. I know it's a bit overboard but with some toning down and of course without the logo smack in the middle of the top it might not be bad. The only real problem I see with it right now is the lack of more buttons and it is a bit candy-like for a professional app.

Oh by the way stevethefiddle, thank you for the compliment on the logo. Maybe I'll make one animated just for the heck of it. ;)
Attachments
audacity-concept.jpg
audacity-concept.jpg (216.36 KiB) Viewed 4466 times
fractalorangejuice

Operating System: Please select

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:32 pm

I like the metallic look - some nasty clipping on a couple of tracks though :D
steve
Site Admin

Permanent link to this post Posted by fractalorangejuice » Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:22 am

Yeah, I really need to stop beatboxing with the mic on my epiglottis. ;)
fractalorangejuice

Audacity could use a facelift and why not?

Permanent link to this post Posted by fractalorangejuice » Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:13 am

19Jun08 - I have moved this Feature Request to the FR section in the Wiki today - I have retained it in the Forum, but moved it to the General Audio Programming so that other forum users can still see the skins that fractaloragejuice made - and so that the developers can see them too.
Waxcylinder

I've heard it said, the Audacity team receives a good deal of offers from people to redesign the website or interface.

The website could be drastically improved in 2 hours by any decent designer. I won't go into detail on that as it's really not that complicated. Suffice to say I would redesign the graphics as a quick fix for free and the rest of the site in it's entirety if they asked me to. Back to my point..

This is such a great application but still very utilitarian and generic in appearance. I also sense there must be some resistance or complication to the idea of changing the look as it's been this way for quite a long time and and I can only speculate that either they've not found the right artist or something else(possibly the difficulty in reconfiguring the way the interface is written in the code or free time on the part of the coders) is preventing this from being a priority. I'm just curious what's preventing this from improving and if I can help somehow. My apologies if this is already in the works..

I'd like to show a bit of interface design concept work I did for Audacity on a whim and see if the development team might be able to use it or some variation of it or something totally different and better someone else comes up with. I've posted it in the forum here and would be glad even to develop it based on any specific guidelines required. I'd post the source images for modification or create variations based on suggestions of anyone who cares to add input.

I would gladly do this without fanfare for the improvement of the project. I mean no offense whatsoever to the Audacity team as the software is excellent and I use it all the time. But I think it's pretty obvious it needs a face lift if it's going to be taken seriously. I know it sounds harsh but it visually has the look of an Amiga application circa 1989( I loved mine BTW ). I churn out graphics/proofs very quickly and don't mind bending to other people's ideas to make something great. I'm also a programmer and I know how to move from concept to cutting up graphics and how to layer them in an application should there be any question of how to implement a radically different GUI and not just replace existing graphics.

I don't require credit for my work, I just want Audacity to stop looking like a moped when it has a jet engine under the hood. It doesn't have to be all glass and plastic either.. look at Ableton Live for example.

Here is the example I uploaded to the skin post previously(mind the clipping :oops: ). What could I change to make it better? Should I bother? Am I just way off base here?
Attachments
audacity-concept.png
audacity-concept.png (212.14 KiB) Viewed 6086 times
fractalorangejuice

Re: Audacity could use a facelift and why not?

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:35 pm

I heartily agree with you. I'm hoping that the "skinning" capability comes back in v.1.4
steve
Site Admin

Permanent link to this post Posted by fractalorangejuice » Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:07 am

As I'm bored I decided to play around with the other thing I made up and try for a little more of a subtle simplistic look.
Attachments
audacity-conceptV2.png
audacity-conceptV2.png (109.68 KiB) Viewed 5977 times
fractalorangejuice

Permanent link to this post Posted by waxcylinder » Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:24 pm

I much prefer the former ice-cool look that you had earlier in this thread, fractalorangejuice, gives Auadacity a nice look.

I'm not sure that the re-skin facility is still available in the latest version of the Beta/Production s/w......
WC
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * FAQ * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Audacity Manual * * * * * Audacity Wiki * * * * *
waxcylinder
Forum Staff

Operating System: Windows 10

Permanent link to this post Posted by Permanent Beginner » Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:54 am

One of the best things I like about Audacity is that it DOESN'T look like these black-velvet-painting "updates".
Permanent Beginner

Permanent link to this post Posted by AllanLummox » Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:08 am

Hear.
AllanLummox

PreviousNext

Return to Audacity Artwork and Graphics