Standard chain settings for ACX production

Narrating and Producing Audiobooks.

ImageIf you require help using Audacity, please post on the forum board relevant to your operating system:
Windows
Mac OS X
GNU/Linux and Unix-like

Re: Standard chain settings for ACX production

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:27 am

when I ran the mic cable out to the desktop, I got a high pitched hum

We never found out what your microphone chain was. What is it? Some configurations are expected to work perfectly correctly with long microphone cables, but there are others limited to about five feet.

Can you post a WAV sample of the noise? Say: "This is a microphone test." ... and just let it rip. bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Ten seconds.

Oddly, there is a microphone error so common it has its own special effects filters.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Operating System: OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Permanent link to this post Posted by dvnobles » Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:21 am

kozikowski wrote:
when I ran the mic cable out to the desktop, I got a high pitched hum

We never found out what your microphone chain was. What is it? Some configurations are expected to work perfectly correctly with long microphone cables, but there are others limited to about five feet.

Can you post a WAV sample of the noise? Say: "This is a microphone test." ... and just let it rip. bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Ten seconds.

Oddly, there is a microphone error so common it has its own special effects filters.

Koz

Probably was cable length, since I had to extend the usb cable. But I had already switched it back the way I had it. Tonight, though, I finally was able to put my laptop outside of the soundbooth and it looks like it's going to work pretty good.
//Dan
dvnobles

Operating System: Windows 10

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:40 am

The limit of a USB microphone is about one cable. Five feet? Six feet? If you extend the cable a number of bad things happen. Even if you don't get any data errors, (pops, snaps, dropouts), the computer battery to run the analog side of the microphone gets sloppy. You may have met this error already.

http://kozco.com/tech/audacity/clips/US ... neClip.mp3

That's the "Yeti Curse." The non-pro Yeti has terrible power filtering and if the USB connection isn't perfect, it starts making that noise.

My example "studio" has an inexpensive analog microphone and an "affordable" USB microphone converter (on the left). Behringer C1 and UM2.

That adapter has to be five feet from the Mac, but the microphone can be fifty, sixty feet away.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by dvnobles » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:51 am

Yep, that's my next step - analog mic and converter.
//Dan
dvnobles

Operating System: Windows 10

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:16 pm

Yep, that's my next step - analog mic and converter.

Note about that. If you're reading mono and will be forever, avoid the stereo and multi-channel adapters such as the Scarlett 2i2.

I like my UM2 and they make a higher-end one, the UMC-22. Focusrite has the Scarlett Solo. These adapters like working in mono and it's possible to record your work, drink coffee and go home.

With the stereo adapters, you have to either convince them to work mono which can lead to volume shifting and noise issues, or record Left-Only Stereo and then split and convert it to mono in Audacity later. They will not natively record your voice in Mono or Balanced Stereo (that I know of).

Some adapters offer driver software to produce tricks, but driver software can create its own problems.

Lots of work if all you wanted to do was record your voice, drink, coffee and go home.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Previous

Return to Audiobook Production