What setting/tool to achieve acceptable RMS level for ADX?

Narrating and Producing Audiobooks.

ImageIf you require help using Audacity, please post on the forum board relevant to your operating system:
Windows
Mac OS X
GNU/Linux and Unix-like

What setting/tool to achieve acceptable RMS level for ADX?

Permanent link to this post Posted by AngelicBeaver » Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:47 am

I'm practicing audiobook narration. I've got a clip and I've run the limiter to get the peaks below the -3.0 dB limit for ADX, and I ran the ADX check and it's telling me that my RMS level is too low. I've spent an hour trying to figure out what tool to use to bring it up to meet the ADX requirement, but I haven't been able to get a handle on it. I'm running Windows 10.

The RMS level is -26.3.
AngelicBeaver

Operating System: Windows 10

Re: What setting/tool to achieve acceptable RMS level for AD

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:00 am

Is it possible you mean ACX?

We designed special tools and processes that make it relatively convenient to read for audiobooks.

viewtopic.php?f=64&t=96103

Read through the whole thing. It's a mini-tutorial on how to record your voice. Also fair warning, you should not pick one tool out of the suite and try to make it work by itself. It's a matched collection of tools (en suite) and they depend on each other.

When you post back, tell us about your microphone, connection type, computer type, environment (room) and anything else you can think of. If you fail, noise, we're going to ask you all these things anyway.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Operating System: OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:19 am

I'm leap-frogging over some of that. If you have a problem you can't dig yourself out of, post a sample of your reading on the forum. You can use this handy format:

http://www.kozco.com/tech/audacity/Test ... _Clip.html

Or you can post a bit of what you already have. It should be in WAV (Microsoft) format and under 20 seconds if it's mono (one soundwave) or 10 seconds if it's stereo. It's strictly limited. You can't submit a book chapter.

Scroll down from a forum text window > Upload Attachment > Browse.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by AngelicBeaver » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:21 pm

Thanks for the reply. I did mean ACX, not ADX. I think the RMS-normalize is the missing tool I was looking for.

I carved out a space in my wife's fabric storage closet that I've padded with bed-topper foam (the recording space is about 2 feet wide by 4 feet deep, by 8 feet high, or so. It's got a little shelf that I set a CAD U37 microphone on, and I speak from a about 18" away. I drilled a small hole and ran the cord through the wall, so my computer is outside my recording space. As long as my house is relatively quiet, there isn't a lot of ambient noise, and I didn't fail the noise floor test, even without noise reduction.

My computer is a Windows 10 64 bit (v.1709) PC that I built, with a Gigabyte 99OFXA-UD3 R5 motherboard and AMD FX-6300 6 Core Processor and 8GB of DDR3 RAM. The hard drive is a Samsung SSD, with an additional 1TB drive for storage.

I've put a sample of what I've been reading below. It's got some talking and some silence. I ran the ACX checker on it and it passes the noise floor, but fails the RMS range. I've been using a public domain Bible (World English Bible) to practice my reading, and uploading the selections to YouTube for family and friends. My goal is to get my whole process as technically perfect as possible so that I can quickly and easily record other things with a high level of quality. Hopefully, my voice isn't too bad. I'm a little nervous to put this out there.

Thanks again for the help.
Attachments
Sample.wav
(1.78 MiB) Downloaded 16 times
AngelicBeaver

Operating System: Windows 10

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:46 pm

Nothing wrong with that.

Step one. Split stereo track to mono with the drop-down menu on the left. Delete one track. ACX would just as well you submit in mono anyway.

Track 1 is straight Mastering Suite 4. Your work passes everything, but you are a hair's breath away from failing noise. Half dB means if you shift your butt on your chair the wrong way, you could fail.

Track 2 is the addition of "Noise Reduction of the Beast." Effect > Noise Reduction 6, 6, 6. The work passes all three ACX conformance rules easily and probably even sounds like you.

This is how to use Noise Reduction. It's two-step unlike other effects.

http://manual.audacityteam.org/man/noise_reduction.html

Koz
Attachments
SamplePatched-1.wav
(913.2 KiB) Downloaded 9 times
SamplePatched-2.wav
(913.2 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
Screen Shot 2018-01-01 at 15.31.16.png
Screen Shot 2018-01-01 at 15.31.16.png (41.69 KiB) Viewed 514 times
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:07 am

I think it may be a little crisp but I can't do anything easy to help. Maybe one of the other elves will add de-esser or one of those filters.

That's probably good to go. Do you think it sounds OK? This is where having good speakers or headphones comes in super handy.

ACX likes your chapters to match so whatever you do to the worst one, you should do to all of them.

And speaking of headphones, it's highly recommended that you wear headphones to listen to yourself as you record. That helps makes you self-correcting as you read. Unfortunately, the CAD U37 doesn't seem to have a place for headphones, and you can't use the computer headphone connection because of delay and echo problems.

That's what all these people are doing.

So you're stuck until you become popular, make a million dollars and buy a larger system.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:12 am

Oh, one more. Are you using the little desk stand that came with the microphone? There's no mention of any shock mount, so you can add your own to keep floor and desk noises away from the microphone.

Doesn't have to be Stephen King. Any heavy book will do it. Do you have a Bible?

Also note the heavy furniture moving quilt on the desk.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by flynwill » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:28 am

Before you go down the noise-reduction rabbit hole I would recommend applying the "LF Rolloff for speech" equalization (Koz: can you post the link?).

I did that on you test clip and immediately got another 6 dB of noise margin.

Otherwise sounds good to me.
flynwill

Operating System: GNU/Linux other

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:13 am

(Koz: can you post the link?).

Low Rolloff for Speech is included in Audacity 2.2.1 (and possibly 2.2.0). It's the identical curve with a more civilian-friendly name.

It's my standing joke that Steve is world famous for eleven lines of code. If he had signed the work it would be twelve lines.

I did that on you test clip and immediately got another 6 dB of noise margin.

Low Rolloff is included as step one in the mastering suite. It's possible I missed it........

I did notice another odd noise spike even after all the processing. I need to go digging for it again, but I put it down to fan noise leaking around all the barriers. 97Hz? Something like that. That would be affected by Low Rolloff which starts the slide at about 100Hz.

I'll go back and see. In fact, being able to reach compliance without Noise Reduction is very desirable.

As we go.

Koz
Attachments
LF_rolloff_for_speech.xml.zip
(326 Bytes) Downloaded 9 times
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:26 am

Curioser and curioser. I applied Low Rolloff to the suite processed work and the noise rocketed from -60.5 to -60.7.

I'm using the default length of ~5000. That's the only obvious variation.

As we go.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Next

Return to Audiobook Production