How to achieve -23 to -18 after normalizing?

Narrating and Producing Audiobooks.

ImageIf you require help using Audacity, please post on the forum board relevant to your operating system:
Windows
Mac OS X
GNU/Linux and Unix-like

Re: How to achieve -23 to -18 after normalizing?

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:22 am

I think De-Esser is downloadable but I don't remember from where. I changed the settings to the values posted and the sound is better balanced—less harsh.

Screen Shot 2017-11-05 at 18.18.53.png
Screen Shot 2017-11-05 at 18.18.53.png (48.81 KiB) Viewed 193 times

Searching.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Operating System: OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Permanent link to this post Posted by TryHard90000 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:26 am

Thank you so much, You are a life saver. I am the writer.
TryHard90000

Operating System: Windows 7

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:28 am

viewtopic.php?p=245549#p245549

It's not in the effects collection. This is my bookmark.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:44 am

If this is your first reading, there's another production effect that may pop up. You get better as you go and about half-way through the book you go back and play chapter one and realize how sucky it is.

It's not that unusual for New Users to read their first book over again. "I can't submit this. It's terrible."

The production goal is sitting across the kitchen table from someone over steaming cups of hot tea while they tell you a fascinating story. Yes, I know the kitchen is the last place to do a quality recording, but work with me here. That's what it should sound like. That's the performance/acting goal.

This is why ACX will kill you instantly if you submit a voice that sounds like a bad cellphone.

Please note we're not worried about the microphone any more.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:15 am

And speaking of the Yeti. Can you burn another voice test? We'll use test2 as a base line reference and burn another, similar test with a dress sock pulled over the top of the Yeti. Make sure it's pulled down so the grill on top is relatively smooth and your voice only has to go through one layer. I don't expect much volume change, but the voice may get a little more mellow.

As before. No changes or effects. Shoot it and post it.

Click the pix.

Thanks,

Koz
Attachments
YetiSocks.jpg
YetiSocks.jpg (41.11 KiB) Viewed 190 times
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by TryHard90000 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:54 pm

Hey, I do in fact use a foam windscreen cover on the yeti mic. Here is another raw recording, is my voice to harsh recording at that audio volume? I don't want to embark on recording my entire book only to have it be a waste of time and rejected because my voice was too loud sounding. But if it sounds acx acceptable, then I will proceed. Thank you for your help.

Edit: Hey I apologize, I incorrectly recorded that sample, here it is at appropriate face distance and keeping it at the required db level
Attachments
test3.wav
(1.74 MiB) Downloaded 7 times
TryHard90000

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:10 am

Here is another raw recording, is my voice to harsh recording at that audio volume?

It's not a volume thing. ACX wants your volume to be just so and that's why they publish the specifications. Within those specifications, the quality of your voice comes down to how much energy is taken up in certain pitches and tones. Generally, you were born with that.

Human hearing peaks around 3000Hz. That's engineering-speak for fingernails on blackboard and baby screaming on a jet. I wish I'd kept a recording of it, but there was a new presenter on the radio whose natural voice tones would crack glass. They got a lot better over time, but their presentation still fogs my glasses.

But their loudness is exactly correct for the radio.

There's a cousin to this problem called sibilance. That's an odd distortion where most of your speech is OK, but all your S sounds turn into ice picks in your ears. That's the one DeEsser is designed to help. SSiSSter SSuZZy SSinkSS or SSwimSS.

We need to address the foam screen. Was that sold as a pop and blast filter? It will help with that, but it also has the effect of muffling your voice. This tennis racket thing is a pop and blast filter that doesn't affect your voice.

You should be about one Power Fist away from that for normal presentation. I'm perfectly clear that it's rough to place the tennis racket when your microphone is sitting on the desk. Probably why they sent you the foam sock. Is there an instruction set with the sock? If your voice does this, do that?

I'm losing track of the versions. I'd like one version with nothing and one version with the sock. Is that test2 and test3?

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:15 am

rejected because my voice was too loud sounding.

You should dig through the ACX publications and see if they let you submit a sample before you read whole books. I think they do now. Everybody got tired of ACX rejecting months of work.

The top four links on this page are from ACX.

http://www.kozco.com/tech/audacity/audacity.html

You can probably back up a link level or two and find more. They were busy changing them when I wrote the shortcut page.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by TryHard90000 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:32 am

Here you go, one is with the sock and one without, recorded them according to the distance seen in the pictures as well
Attachments
withsock.wav
(1.74 MiB) Downloaded 8 times
Withoutsock.wav
(1.34 MiB) Downloaded 9 times
TryHard90000

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:06 am

While you were doing that, I was pulling test3 apart. There is still a technical problem. There are two places in the dialog where the microphone made up noise by itself.

"Even stars these *** giants of power" 12.85 to 12.90
"Mysterious *** Force" 15.8 to 15.9

In both cases there is a little buzz or "eh" sound that you didn't make (I'm assuming). Crawl into your headphones and see if you can hear them.

That's pretty serious because I don't know of a shortcut to stop it. That kind of error doesn't fall into a convenient basket of solutions.

I'm guessing it's a data error.

Is the Yeti plugged into the back of the computer or one of the front convenience sockets? Are you using the USB cable that came with the Yeti?

Are you going direct? No USB hubs, extensions cables or splitters?

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

PreviousNext

Return to Audiobook Production