How to achieve -23 to -18 after normalizing?

Narrating and Producing Audiobooks.

ImageIf you require help using Audacity, please post on the forum board relevant to your operating system:
Windows
Mac OS X
GNU/Linux and Unix-like

How to achieve -23 to -18 after normalizing?

Permanent link to this post Posted by TryHard90000 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:37 pm

Okay, let me explain, I'm on the verge of tearing my hair out, can someone please explain to me how to obtain the required -23 to -18 Db RMS requirement for ACX in audacity?

When I normalize to obtain the required RMS level, the sound floor buzz for the narration portion of the track is also amplified, even after I do the first step of Noise Reduction (record silence > Get noise profile > apply to whole track > then I normalize the narration portion, although I've tried to normalize the whole track as well to fix my issue)

My current steps are:

0) Record silent room tone and narration
1) Noise reduction Profile of silence portion
2) Apply to whole track
3) Normalize audio

But when I normalize the audio to get my target RMS, the background tone/buzz is also increased during the narration portion, how do I reduce it? Please, please someone have the answer, I'm on the verge of returning all this gear I bought. I use a Blue Yeti Microphone and a filter. Is it possible that blue yeti simply isn't good for audiobook narration?
TryHard90000

Operating System: Windows 7

Re: How to achieve -23 to -18 after normalizing?

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:44 pm

Step one: Stop tearing.

We published a suite of tools to get you past ACX Automated Quality Control (the Robot).

viewtopic.php?f=64&t=96103

It requires some extra downloaded tools and installs, so you need to be comfortable with that. The tools depend on each other, so don't leave any out.

Generally, it's not the microphone. It's always the room. Can you tell if the computer is on just by listening? Can you tell if the refrigerator is on? Can you tell when the MetroBus goes by (my personal favorite)? Those are very serious problems because Noise Reduction is not the global rescue it appears it should be, and some noises don't reduce.

Record a test clip and post it here on the forum.

http://www.kozco.com/tech/audacity/Test ... _Clip.html

If you have real/serious problems, we can tell you right at the top and avoid cyclical troubleshooting.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Operating System: OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:01 pm

Don't blow this off. Some Yeti microphone have "celebrity problems" and we designed special tools to help with that.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by TryHard90000 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:21 am

I can't seem to find the export option for audacity 2.2.2. Rest assured, I've tried following the steps on the other threads, but to no avail.

My audacity is set to Preferences: Default Sample Format > 16 bit

Interface: Meter db range: -96 db
44100 Hz

Is that correct?

I will return with a sample of the audio shortly, thank you.
TryHard90000

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:24 am

File > Save Other: WAV.

2.2.0 is brand spankin' new and we're just catching up with the changes.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by TryHard90000 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:38 am

I've posted the .wav file below good sir. Recording it with blue yeti gain set to the absolute minimum and have made 0 adjustments to the file.
Attachments
MyTest.wav
(1.49 MiB) Downloaded 4 times
TryHard90000

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:58 am

It's too noisy, but I'm not going to go digging for it. You're doing the recording wrong.

Forget the headphones for a minute. Set yourself up for a recording and change the Yeti recording volumes and your head spacing until the Audacity recording meters tip occasionally into -10dB to -6dB.

You should be about a power fist away from your pop and blast filter or one Hawaiian Shaka if you're not using one.

That's David Greene at the NPR Culver City Studios.

I know the Yeti is a desk mounted microphone and the recommended way to elevate it, assuming you don't have a mic stand is the book and towel method.

Book and towel has the advantage of isolating the microphone from desk and floor vibration.

Shoot it again.

Good voice, so this should work OK once we sort the technical problems.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by TryHard90000 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:32 am

Followed the steps for placement and I increased the gain knob to about 45% in order to reach the -10 to -6 db during recording. If it's still wrong, I think my motherboard usb slots might not be that great for sound recording or the mic itself might be a bunk...My computer does make a slight hum sound, so that might be causing the noise.

I've attached the 2nd test file, please let me know if I did it right, I placed my ear next to the mic, and honestly I can hear the computer's hum which is about 3 feet away from the mic. I'm thinking about returning the yeti and getting a dynamic mic
Attachments
test2.wav
(1.14 MiB) Downloaded 3 times
TryHard90000

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:08 am

Aaaaaand. We're done. I applied the mastering suite just as it appears in the paper.

See first three readings and sentence 2/3 down.

Screen Shot 2017-11-05 at 17.44.42.png
Screen Shot 2017-11-05 at 17.44.42.png (41.38 KiB) Viewed 85 times

Being obsessive, I did apply very gentle noise reduction of the beast (6, 6, 6) and DeEsser at the default values. I'll post those shortly.

I expect that to sail straight through both Robot and Human Quality Control—unless you mess up something reading.

Once you establish a reading process, you're stuck with it until the last page. ACX hates changes in the middle of the book or between paragraphs.

Let me know if you get stuck anywhere.

Even though ACX requires submission in MP3, it's strongly urged you do everything including performance archive in WAV. Burn the MP3 just before submission. I've never read a book but I'd probably chop the performance into chapters or less. ChanningBeerHall-Chapter2a.wav

That's obsessive again. No spaces and no punctuation other than -dash- and _underscore_.

I wouldn't use Audacity Projects anywhere in this process.

Are you reading this for the publisher, or are you the writer?

Koz
Attachments
test2-Patched.wav
(1.14 MiB) Downloaded 4 times
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:15 am

That's not to say it can't be made to sound better. I expect one of the other elves to chime in with better tonal correction. My goal is to get you working.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Next

Return to Audiobook Production