Having a problem with ACX RMS spec

Narrating and Producing Audiobooks.

ImageIf you require help using Audacity, please post on the forum board relevant to your operating system:
Windows
Mac OS X
GNU/Linux and Unix-like

Re: Having a problem with ACX RMS spec

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:58 pm

Your miracle MosquitoKiller program

Yes, well. I wrote the "work order," but I'm neither the programmer nor the developer. It doesn't work on all mosquitoes, either. You got lucky.
I have been using the wrong one.

If you've been using the wrong pattern, it's possible the microphone has been partially aimed at the noise source rather than trying to ignore it. That might go a long way to solving the environment noise problem. That's why the cardioid pattern is recommended for podcasters.

The British version of that is "kidney" pattern for obvious reasons. You may find your vocal tone may shift a bit when you change patterns.

That pattern also exhibits Proximity Effect. Tone changes with distance, being particularly striking the last three or four inches. I can turn myself into a ballsy broadcast presenter just by leaning forward. It's an old story, but I once briefly played two different people by doing that and changing vocal style.

You should not change anything if you're in the middle of a book and you're supposed to be one person.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Operating System: OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Permanent link to this post Posted by HLC » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:36 pm

In your case, open that clip. Select the whole thing by clicking just above MUTE (this should track with the instruction in the paper). Effect > Mosquito-Killer4: 8 > OK.

If you play the clip, the annoying whine sound should be gone, or it was when I did it.

Now you go back to the top of AudioBook Mastering and start down the path. Equalization: Low Rolloff, 5000 Length > OK.
Etc. That's exactly how I did it.

But.

You also have machine, fan, ventilation or some kind of additional room noise in the performance. So when I got to the end of the corrections, it was still too noisy. Back to the noise document and use Effect > Noise Reduction: 9, 6, 6 > OK. Let me know if you have trouble following these shortcuts.

Now I used Analyze > ACX Check and it passed—but not by a whole lot.

I did the above, and here's my ACX check after:

Audacity sample ACX check after effects.JPG
Audacity sample ACX check after effects.JPG (75.31 KiB) Viewed 488 times

I don't know where it went off the rails.

You should not change anything if you're in the middle of a book and you're supposed to be one person.

I am more than willing to start over and get the recording as right/good as possible before having to apply any effects.

I made the changes you suggested, and recorded the same bit with the new mic setting, the additional padding on the desk, and moving the recording booth further from the computer.

Per the clip recording guidelines, here's the raw unedited version with silence (well, mosquito-infested silence) at the beginning and end.

Audacity sample 2 Aug 23 2017.wav
(1.69 MiB) Downloaded 18 times

This is the ACX check I get on this raw version.

Audacity sample 2 Aug 23 2017 ACX check.JPG
Audacity sample 2 Aug 23 2017 ACX check.JPG (83.66 KiB) Viewed 488 times

Am I making things worse?
HLC

Operating System: Windows 10

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:57 pm

You have to be missing a step. The ACX Check results are wildly out of range of where they're expected to be. I need to come back and read through that again.

This does ring a bell. Check and see if you're using Audacity 2.1.3. That's not optional. The tools don't work in earlier versions.

In Windows it's Help > About....I think.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by HLC » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:11 pm

This does ring a bell. Check and see if you're using Audacity 2.1.3. That's not optional. The tools don't work in earlier versions.

Yes, that's the version I'm using.

Audacity version Aug 23 2017.JPG
Audacity version Aug 23 2017.JPG (101.05 KiB) Viewed 485 times
HLC

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:32 pm

A note: Once this clicks the first time the clouds will part and the sun will come out. There's no question of success, we just have to cover the bases (blind, across multiple time zones <g>).

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:57 pm

This is the ACX Check from post 2 as of Aug 23rd. after processing.

Screen Shot 2017-08-23 at 11.46.06 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-08-23 at 11.46.06 AM.png (47.32 KiB) Viewed 475 times

That's without the additional noise reduction. That's straight Mosquito Killer, and ACX Mastering Suite.

I have a machine problem and need to drop in and out.

I think we are about to experience Long Posting Fatigue. Did I ever point you to the forum message that contains the ACX tools in order?

viewtopic.php?f=64&t=96103

In your case, you would be applying Mosquito Killer4 first and then the mastering suite. I was trying to work from the field and I had damaged results with Mosquito Killer4. I can't tell if I got a damaged killer program, I applied it wrong, or I have a wonky Audacity program.

Computers are our friends.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:08 pm

When you select Effects, does Mosquito Killer4 look more or less like this? Two words with a dash, one number and three dots?

No, you would not normally need to worry about this. Mine doesn't always look like that and it got my attention. You are now helping with developer analysis.

We'll get there.

Koz
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-08-23 at 12.00.38 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-08-23 at 12.00.38 PM.png (18.44 KiB) Viewed 475 times
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by HLC » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:30 pm

When you select Effects, does Mosquito Killer4 look more or less like this? Two words with a dash, one number and three dots?

It did not, but does now. I downloaded and enabled the newer Mosquito Killer4 and shut the older one off.

You are now helping with developer analysis.

Or causing someone heartburn, which is probably the same thing.

Did I ever point you to the forum message that contains the ACX tools in order?

You did. I made a copy and can access it offline now too.

A note: Once this clicks the first time the clouds will part and the sun will come out. There's no question of success, we just have to cover the bases (blind, across multiple time zones <g>).

Good things take time. If I can't be a good example, at least I'll be a warning.
HLC

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:12 am

You are now helping with developer analysis.
Or causing someone heartburn, which is probably the same thing.

Not always. Everybody knows what a "bug" is. It's any time a computer doesn't do exactly what I want, right?

No. A "bug" is a very specific thing. It's unintended, evil behavior experienced at any time by many different people and machines. It's that last part that messes with people. "You" probably didn't find a bug (although it has happened). You and fifty or sixty of your closest friends may have found one. So let us know who they are and we'll get right on that.
I downloaded and enabled the newer Mosquito Killer4 and shut the older one off.

My small field laptop has trouble with that. That's why this is taking a bit longer than normal.

-=|=-

OK, it's no mystery what Mosquito Killer does. The blue waves on the timeline don't change but the whine goes away.

The first step in Mastering Suite (Low Rolloff—Rumble Filter) shouldn't be visible, either.

Screen Shot 2017-08-23 at 18.53.05.png
Screen Shot 2017-08-23 at 18.53.05.png (18.16 KiB) Viewed 470 times

Effect > RMS Normalize to -20dB.

There's two normalizes. The regular one which isn't customized for AudioBooks, and RMS Normalize, which is.

Screen Shot 2017-08-23 at 18.58.13.png
Screen Shot 2017-08-23 at 18.58.13.png (18.65 KiB) Viewed 470 times

That effectively sets RMS (Loudness) but can leave some of the tippy-top peaks too high. The tall tip at 4 seconds is too tall.

Effect > Limiter: Soft, 0, 0, -3.5, 10, No.

Watch when you apply that, only that one tip at 4 seconds should get pushed down a bit.

Screen Shot 2017-08-23 at 19.06.06.png
Screen Shot 2017-08-23 at 19.06.06.png (14.7 KiB) Viewed 470 times

And you're done.

Screen Shot 2017-08-23 at 19.06.57.png
Screen Shot 2017-08-23 at 19.06.57.png (41.95 KiB) Viewed 470 times

Where did you lose it?

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:30 am

And just to close the loop. I applied the Noise Reduction of the Beast (6, 6, 6) using the first 1.5 seconds of the clip as Profile or reference.

Screen Shot 2017-08-23 at 19.26.16.png
Screen Shot 2017-08-23 at 19.26.16.png (40.61 KiB) Viewed 468 times

Some of the other elves will quibble about fine details of vocal quality, but that could be out-the-door finished.

Koz
Attachments
Audacity sample 2 Aug 23 2017Patched.wav
(1.69 MiB) Downloaded 13 times
kozikowski
Forum Staff

PreviousNext

Return to Audiobook Production