Am I Doing This Right?

Narrating and Producing Audiobooks.

ImageIf you require help using Audacity, please post on the forum board relevant to your operating system:
Windows
Mac OS X
GNU/Linux and Unix-like

Re: Am I Doing This Right?

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:11 pm

I use a different plugin for this.

What plugin might that be?

The chapter passes technical conformance here perfectly well. So now you're into theater. Yes, some of the pauses are a little long and trip up the rhythm of the reading.

On second listening, those are fluffs, to be corrected later.

I don't remember anything published about shearing off breathing sounds (other than what Everybody Knows) and as long as they're not crazy loud, I'd leave them alone. I wish there was a way to get an ACX reading on this. Any processing you can avoid is a good thing.

But if you do elect to use a gate, we should get Mack Caster to tell us what he used. I thought there was a native one in Audacity, but maybe not. Looking.

You should be cautious about using a gate. It should not slam the gaps to total silence but instead gently reduce the loudness. Most gates will not follow you if you do a slightly expressive read. Also, the two ends of a gate are usually variables, the attack and release times. If you set them wrong, you can get tiny, annoying noise tails or clipped words. It's a violin and if you play it wrong, you might get odd distortion and artifacts. ACX does not like artifacts.

And whatever you settle on for chapter one has to be done for the whole book. Chapter to Chapter matching is a big deal.

I'm not listening in a super environment. I'm in the back garden and as a casual (normal) user, I think you're good to go.

You didn't say whether or not you were using Noise Reduction. I hope not. Noise Reduction can cause odd sibilance (at least ours does) and push you into corrections for that.

Everything in WAV including archive until the final submission. Did you dig through ACX's help material?

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Operating System: OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:20 pm

Here's our noise gate. Forum Steve wrote it.

http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Nyqui ... Noise_Gate

It's extra software and has to be installed.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by Mack Caster » Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:56 pm

The majority of my plugins are purchased from Wave. However, there are many free plugins that play nice with Audacity. I refuse to use any plugin I can not see in "Real Time". Like the pictures shows below, I can run this De-Esser or Processor simply by pressing the play button all the way through the file or at the points I mark.

De-esser.gif
De-esser.gif (104.29 KiB) Viewed 260 times

processor.gif
processor.gif (1.53 MiB) Viewed 260 times

As far as using the Gate, it is simple mathematics and I use it on every piece of audio I render. Once you learn the process it will become second nature but as @Koz mentioned, do it incorrectly and it will destroy your audio. The plugins I pay for have 0 degradation effects on audio files when used properly. There are really only three plugins you need for narration. 1. Gate. 2. EQ. 3. Vocal Processor. You can check out some very nice free VST plugins here. https://www.reaper.fm/reaplugs/
Mack Caster
Banned

Operating System: Windows 8 or 8.1

Permanent link to this post Posted by Mack Caster » Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:11 am

Here is a cool gate that plays nice with Audacity.
Attachments
Gate.gif
Gate.gif (1.33 MiB) Viewed 259 times
Mack Caster
Banned

Operating System: Windows 8 or 8.1

Permanent link to this post Posted by Diver4242 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:58 pm

Ok, I'm happily going back through my newly re-recorded audiobook and mastering each track. I was listening to the raw chapter 7 prior to mastering it and found a sentence I have to re-record due to a mispronounced word. What's the best approach for that? Go back into the closet, re-record the sentence and overlay it in the raw track prior to doing any effects, and then apply the EQ, Normalize, and Limiter to the whole track?
Diver4242

Operating System: Windows 10

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:25 pm

What's the best approach for that?

Don't try to patch just the word. That never works.

Well, shucks.

If you think you can recapture the sentence with similar rhythm, meter, pitch, etc, then try that. Play the original work about a million times so you get accustomed to how you did it.

Make absolutely sure you have safety WAV backups of the original work and they're put away.

How would I do this.............?

Import the original work and then the patched sentence and they should appear one above the other and play at the same time. Use the Time Shift Tool (two sideways black arrows) to push the correction sideways until it's about in the right place. Both sentences play about the same time. Doesn't matter if the match is off.

Select the fluff sentence and silence it with Control-L. That should keep the same timing. It makes a silent hole (See Attach). As you play this performance section, Audacity should switch between the original work, the correction, and then back to the original work.

Adjust your brains out. This method has the advantage that the correction is on a track all by itself and you can freely apply filters, effects, adjustments and corrections without affecting the main show.

No good deed ever goes unpunished, so it turns out Audacity UNDO always works in order, so if it turns out you need to reverse a correction you made ten minutes ago, you need to back out of all the corrections you made between then and now.

I'm sure the editors are cringing at this method, but it would work. Straight File > Export will smash the two tracks into one. If you think you may need to go back and change even that, Save an Audacity Project. A Project will preserve the two tracks one above the other, but Projects Do Not Save UNDO. Some people have trouble opening Projects later, so this is not the most reliable format.

Koz
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-07-31 at 14.20.42.png
Screen Shot 2017-07-31 at 14.20.42.png (17.91 KiB) Viewed 244 times
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:38 pm

Obsessive Engineer says:

Announce the correction more than once and pick the best one.

Don't forget to make safety WAV copies of the RAW corrections.

Let us know how it came out.

Are the chapters sounding OK after you apply the mastering suite? Do they more or less match each other? There is that fine line between a desirable theatrical change between chapters and a change because one is noisier or louder than the other.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by Diver4242 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:59 pm

I think I'm just going to bite the bullet and re-record that chapter, it's 16 minutes and would probably take me longer than that to fuss with trying to paste in a replacement sentence. There was one additional error in that same chapter. I was tired at that point and didn't listen to my instincts and take a break from recording, and it shows. I'll wait until I've gone through the remaining 13 chapters to see if any others need to be redone, for consistency when I get back into the closet (studio).

The chapters all sound great after applying the mastering suite. I'm extremely grateful to have found this forum, and all the help here. I mentioned it on the kboards writer's cafe, so there should be more incoming soon :-)
Diver4242

Operating System: Windows 10

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:44 am

"INCOMING!!"
Radar O'Reilly, any 'M*A*S*H' episode.
this forum, and all the help here.

As we are fond of saying on occasion, this is a forum, not a help desk. Nobody wrote you can't help out a little here and there. There is no learning experience like trying to explain it to someone else.
when I get back into the closet

It's getting harder and harder to avoid "in the closet" jokes.
would probably take me longer than that to fuss with trying to paste in a replacement sentence.

There is another variation on this. Depending on how it comes out, you jam the beginning of one chapter pass onto the end of another. Same sort of editing, not quite as critical.

You'd be horrified if you could see what editing a movie is like. That kissing love scene between John and Marsha? That was six passes with one camera. All of John's lines with the back of Marsha's head, three times. Shift the camera. Then all of Marsha's lines, three times, with the back of John's head. Mix and match in the edit room.

With thanks to Stan Freberg.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkfwmB8jeSU

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:51 am

Being in the closet isn't such a bad deal. Mine has a Louis XIV credenza, two ormolu armoires and a bidet. I'm not sure there's room for a microphone.

Rummmm. Tish!

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

PreviousNext

Return to Audiobook Production